To keep or not to keep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Nov 7, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have three runner ducklings, but in reality I only wanted to keep two. The one that I would LIKE to get rid of is 18ish days.

Now, I'm torn because I don't want to get rid of one duckling and him not have any friends, and I'm also worried about how freaked out the other two would be without him.

So. Should I keep, or should I get rid of? Does anyone want a little yellow runner?

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I'd keep them. Things some times happen ... you might be glad you hung on to the 'third' one. IMHO, 2 or 3 doesn't make a whole lot of difference, unless you end up with 2 boys/1 girl.

3. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I would definitely wait until they showed what sex they are! I paid to have mine sexed and was supposed to have 1 boy and 5 girls......ended up with 3 boys. I don't know what combo you wanted, but you may give away the wrong one! Plus, I agree with everything greyhorsewoman said.

4. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    keep him [​IMG]

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I would keep him unless you find someone that has a few the same age or some friend he could take up with then give it a second thought

6. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Keep it. We had three pekins hatch, sold two and kept one. Well, the one we kept died. I had to order my daughter more from Florida. One more does not cost anymore to feed. The only problem is having more drakes than you need.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Most definitely keep the 3rd one. Anything freaky can happen and you may end up with a lone duckie. That is why you hear 'trio' mentioned all the time. [​IMG] JMO

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

jojo@rolling acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Keep the duckling...you never know what might happen down the road. You may end up needing it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Keep him for the simple fact that it's a runner duck, and it's a duck... Did I mention it's a duck? [​IMG] The others do have a very valid point about things do happen though [​IMG] Oh yeah, where's the picture of the duckling you're now keeping? [​IMG]

10. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    The problem with Hugo is he's not nearly as friendly as my other two. The other two will come up and be lovey but Hugo here, he freaks out and runs into walls trying to get away. He gets the others all stirred up. They'll be calm as can be, snuggled up on my feet while we're outside, and then all of a sudden a leaf falls and he's halfway to the duck house, the other two trailing behind.

He's a jerk and he knows it, look at that smirk.

[​IMG]

Either that or he is just plain neurotic. I just don't want him to make my sweet ducks neurotic, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by