To Raise or Not

SOrsucci

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2024
I live in very northern Minnesota where it is not uncommon for winter temps to drop to -30 degrees. I am wondering if it is better to have the coop raised or on the ground to help keep it warm. It would be off grid so heating the coop is not an option. Thank You

Personal preference. I don’t think it matters if you have a draft free coop. I’m on a similar latitude in UP Michigan with temps -10 to -30. Unheated coop on blocks. A few tips: Have southern facing windows. Choose cold hardy breeds, have lots of ventilation at the roof line, avoid drafts at roost level, and give plenty of roost space. Use wooden 2x4s for roosts because wood is warmer.
Welcome to BYC!!

Personal preference. I don’t think it matters if you have a draft free coop. I’m on a similar latitude in UP Michigan with temps -10 to -30. Unheated coop on blocks. A few tips: Have southern facing windows. Choose cold hardy breeds, have lots of ventilation at the roof line, avoid drafts at roost level, and give plenty of roost space. Use wooden 2x4s for roosts because wood is warmer.
Welcome to BYC!!
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom