to Rake or not to Rake ? ( Leaves)

this is how many leaves are still on the trees ,, and how thick the fallen ones are so far… it’s like perfect right now beautifully spread out. I’m just concerned a lot more is coming lol.
You have a lot of leaves! I’m not that far away and all mine are changing colors and falling all over the yard!

I was going to collect more leaves today and save them for use in my run over winter, I did that last year and it worked great, also long needled pine. But darn weather! it snowed last night and this morning so now I have to wait until it all dries out again.
I hear you! We got snow here too.

We have mainly oak trees, and dang it! You are never done raking with them! Some of the leaves stay on all winter and then fall in the spring. So when will I be done raking leaves? Oh, long about ... April of next year. :lau

I hear you! We got snow here too.

We have mainly oak trees, and dang it! You are never done raking with them! Some of the leaves stay on all winter and then fall in the spring. So when will I be done raking leaves? Oh, long about ... April of next year. :lau
Got that right, oak leaves are a pain!! I think the last time our area got snow on halloween was in 1993, we got like 6 1/2 inches. If I remember correctly in '93 the leaves were still on the trees then too and it never did stop snowing after that long enough to get any leaves cleaned up, we really did have to wait till spring. I don't think that's going to happen this year though. We only got a little bit of snow off and on today thankfully.

Last edited:
I did learn the hard way that you will be sorry if you don't rake up any leaves you can before the snow is on the ground for the winter. The leaves will be REALLY hard to rake the next spring if they've been under snow for a few months.

I used to hate raking leaves. It was my least favorite of the fall chores. Then I found out what great mulch the make. And how much the chickens love to scratch through them. Now I don't mind it at all. :)

My run is roofed so maybe that is one difference for me.

I rake all the leaves I can and put them in the run. By spring there are no visible leaves.

I can see that they could be quite slick when wet in a run or walkway that isn't roofed.

@Jenbirdee is your run roofed or open to rain/snow?

If it's open I would be removing most of them too. No one wants to fall in slippery muck.
I collect leaves (mainly from fruit trees) to put in the run with netting on top. The chickens scratch in them in search for food.
I make sure not all the surface is covered with a thick layer of leaves and add fine chopped wood from pruning too

The leaves and wood balances with the poop to get a healthy soil with much organic materials in it. The water /moist is good to break the leaves/wood down faster.

I collect leaves (mainly from fruit trees) to put in the run with netting on top. The chickens scratch in them in search for food.
I make sure not all the surface is covered with a thick layer of leaves and add fine chopped wood from pruning too

The leaves and wood balances with the poop to get a healthy soil with much organic materials in it. The water /moist is good to break the leaves/wood down faster.

I also add fall leaves.
The issue for the OP is the slick wet leaves creating a fall hazard. Since she is having to recover from surgery I can absolutely see that as a true hazard.

Having someone rake paths periodically this year is still my best recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom