To Rest or Not to Rest, Also How Should I Cook It?

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hi All!
Right now I am raising a batch of CX. They are now just over 5 weeks and doing well, say one. I noticed a week ago she was limping. Went from a limp to her dragging her body around making her belly all red and sore. I then moved her in a brooder tote with some of my RSL. There she is doing great, eating, drinking, still cant walk right. Well the RSL are now old enough to go outside and I need the tote for ducklings. So even though she's only weighing in at 3lbs12oz think I am going to process her. I have a gathering on Saturday I would love for everyone to sample home grown chicken. My question is should I do it the day before or is it better to let the meat rest a few days?

Also how do you all suggest I prepare the bird? I m going to have burgers, as well as smoking a roast for pulled pork. Any ideas?
Thanks

Smoked bird is wonderful.
If you process quickly, no need to rest. But quickly. I would let rest 2 days in frig.

If you process 2 days before, you can brine the bird while resting it. Family is enjoying the brined & rotisserie birds.

Brined & smoked are that much more special when raised yourself.

Defiantly let it rest for 48 hrs in the fridge. I butcher mine put in ice water for a couple hours then pat dry and rest in fridge for 48 hrs and eat or freeze always wonderful.

That's exactly how we do ours. Cooler with ice and water to quickly drop temp, then to the fridge.

That's exactly how we do ours. Cooler with ice and water to quickly drop temp, then to the fridge.
agreed with the above. I always rest anything I process. The bigger the animal (i.e. pig) the longer it will rest in the fridge or on ice.

Back
Top Bottom