To roof or not to roof (the run)

Thanks Mary. There is an area or two that could use extra support. I'll get that taken care of before snowfall. You're right, at 3am the girls are on their own.

moved Thelma and Louise into my portable run while our handy man roofed the dog kennel. He bolted 1x6 to the metal top poles all the way around and put 1x6 stringers. then built up the center at 6 feet in to make the roof drain rain or snow safely. We finished the 4 foot open roof in welded wire and also did the eaves. FOR Support WE Used 24 Inch STAINLESS Tie OUTS WITH RATCHETED StRAPPING IN 8 SpOTS Around THE kennel.
The next morning we had a thunderstorm and the whole back 6 feet of the enclosure stayed dry. Rain came in the front 4 feet of open roofing but if it were icy or prolonged we have a 10x12 tarp we could cover that part all the way down the side to keep it all dry.

You said your coop is under Spruce trees...mine is under a large Crepe Myrtle and some tall Cherry Laurels. We have removed a lot of branches to open some sun paths buts still very shady...will our hens require extra light this winter?.

If you are looking for decent egg production over winter, layers need 14 hours of light per day. It doesn't need to be bright, but light. I have a light on a timer in my coop; on at 4 am, off at 8 am, every day. If you are good having very few eggs over winter, no extra light is needed. Mary

Back
Top Bottom