To set or not to set..? That is my question!

Swissmiss989

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
I recently bought hatching eggs from the auctions and I should receive them tomorrow morning. I have been reading all sorts of tips but wanted to know, should I set them asap or should I let them rest at room temp for a day before setting my eggs? Btw this is my first hatch! Wish me luck! I need all I can get.

if it's a hot day just set them right away but if it's okay then let them set for 6-8 hours. 24 hours is not completely necessary but if you want to you can

If you get them in the morning or afternoon, what I would do, is let them set until it gets dark. The first thing you want to do is candle them before you put them in the incubator. When you candle you want to look for loose air cells, these eggs can be put in the incubator but need to be with the large end up and not moved or turned for at least 5 days to let the air cell set completely...sometimes they do and sometimes they dont... You also want to look for cracks, sometimes you can not see the cracks just by looking at them. If you do see cracks, cover them with candle wax to close it back up unless it's leaking. If it's leaking there's no sense in keeping it... You kind of want to get them in right away just in case they have already started to develop. Sometimes on the trucks they are quit warm and the eggs will start the process so in order to save it you need to get it in the incubator.. Also when you candle you want to look for things floating around, usually if something is floating around in the egg then it got scrambled and will not develop...

Quote:
So are you not suppose to turn them? Will they be ok if not turned in the incubator for 5 days? Also when I put the eggs in should I have a warm incubator or should I slowly bring the eggs and the incubator up together?

Back
Top Bottom