To soon or to late? Help!!

Lmjc

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
If a chicken is an adult chicken , can you still pick it up and pet it for it to become a lap chicken, or do you have to do it at a young age :/ help

I am no expert, but I had a chicken that I got from a friend. She wasn't very tame at all. She then broke her leg and I cared for her all the time. after that she was so wonderful, always wanted to follow me and sit on my lap. Treats never hurt too! I'd say you can do it but it'll take more time than if they are raised with you.

I received my chickens from a friend just a few months ago. Four of them are almost a year old now and the other two are now four months old. My children and I pet and hold them every chance we get. A couple of them are challenging to catch, but once we catch them, they are content on our handeling them. Treats are great tools to use to your favor.

Hi Lmjc, I think it wouldn't hurt to try to train it or make it more comfortable around you! I think that the chicken will get tamer if you aproach it slowley and take your time. Maybe while itss eating or sleeping you can come in and talk to it in a low voice, and increase the time you do it in day by day. She may never be as calm as you want her to be, but she will at least wont be scared of you!
big_smile.png
I really hope this helps you!

Back
Top Bottom