To start....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thomassio, Dec 14, 2013.

1. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    I apologise if I'm repeating old questions on here but I wanted to be sure!
    Ok, firstly, this is kind of an introduction too, I'm not entirely new to this site as I have posted in the ducks section a few times as I have 6 beautiful runners but I'm really really taken with the idea of a few chickens.
    At present, space is a bit of an issue so I can't go over the top with them. I have an eglu go.........I'm not after opinions on this as I know it's equally popular and unpopular with people but I got it at a very very good price and as soon as I move into a bigger garden.....hopefully in the next few months, I will have some more space. So I guess my questions are these; how many chickens can I keep in an eglu? It says 4 but there is no doubt that looks a little tight. I was hoping three but maybe it's only suitable for two? Im open to bantams although I want my chickens for eggs as well as for pets so the next question is this; what breeds do people recommend. I'm in the uk, it's pretty wet but temperatures tend to stay above freezing MOST of the time. I am after a breed that is as friendly as possible and tame, can free range with the runner ducks when I'm with them if possible, lays well and isn't too big. Are there any smaller non bantams or larger bantams?! As it will be my first chickens I also want something fairly hardy.

Thanks so much for any responses guys,

Thom.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by