to take or not to take the eggs...

HarmonyHen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Hi all,

I have 4 guinea fowl that I've had since last August. About 2 weeks ago, I started getting 2 guinea eggs per day on the floor of the coop in random places. Then a few days ago, they started laying in the same spot on the coop floor under an overhang, which is a fine place for them to do so. I know I have at least one male by his call and size, but the jury's still out on my fourth bird, though I think "she".

I'm thrilled that they have been laying in the coop and not out in the woods somewhere (they free-range 7AM-7PM, but have full coop/run access all day should they want it). We live on quite a large parcel of ground in the middle of the woods. I am not interested in keets and want the eggs, but I have read that removing eggs from a nest outside will often result in the hen moving her nest. I don't want to discourage laying eggs in the coop - certainly much better than nest hunting - so should I leave some eggs for them or do you think its ok to keep taking them all everyday?

If I end up with keets, its fine, but I'd rather just have the eggs. Thanks in advance.

R2elk

Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have 4 guinea fowl that I've had since last August. About 2 weeks ago, I started getting 2 guinea eggs per day on the floor of the coop in random places. Then a few days ago, they started laying in the same spot on the coop floor under an overhang, which is a fine place for them to do so. I know I have at least one male by his call and size, but the jury's still out on my fourth bird, though I think "she".

I'm thrilled that they have been laying in the coop and not out in the woods somewhere (they free-range 7AM-7PM, but have full coop/run access all day should they want it). We live on quite a large parcel of ground in the middle of the woods. I am not interested in keets and want the eggs, but I have read that removing eggs from a nest outside will often result in the hen moving her nest. I don't want to discourage laying eggs in the coop - certainly much better than nest hunting - so should I leave some eggs for them or do you think its ok to keep taking them all everyday?

If I end up with keets, its fine, but I'd rather just have the eggs. Thanks in advance.

If you want to take the eggs you need to leave a few marked eggs or use dummy eggs. Taking all the eggs will cause them to move the nest and you likely won't be happy with where they move it to.

amymae1100

Songster
5 Years
Mar 3, 2014
Texas
I have the same problem except i have two hens on nests and i think guineas can count :p cause when i took one egg from third guinea hens nest of 6 eggs she abandoned it :-( i also live in the woods and they free range during the day but i have yet to find the new nest. If I do find it how many should i wait for her to lay before i start sneaking them out? I am going to be overrun with guineas, lol!

Top Bottom