To those who did NOT or will not vaccinate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by midwife mama, Mar 18, 2009.

1. midwife mama

midwife mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    montana
    Please can you share your reasons for choosing NOT to vaccinate, for any or all of the available chicken vaccines? What are your concerns with vaccines?

What has your experience been?

Would you choose to NOT vaccinate again in the future?

I am hoping to collect as much information as I can on the risks of vaccinating AND not vaccinating.

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad someone asked this question, as when I ordered my chicks , I received conflicting opinions on this subject. Thanks !! [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i don't vaccinate. i want the healthiest, strongest birds in my flocks.

as per people vaccinating and inoculating when illness/disease occurs, i wont do that either. some diseases can still shed to other birds while the recovered bird is a carrier.

it's not for me. [​IMG]

4. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I will admit I did not do it for the lack of money. But when i read the above post i thought it made seance. I think i will be doing that from now on.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    My vet told me that for a small backyard flock it is not needed.
    He said to practice good bio-security and you should never have a problem.
    I only add day old chicks that I hatch to my flock.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:ditto. You sumed it up perfectly! [​IMG]

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I chose not to vaccinate.

The chances of my small flock becoming sick are slim. Also, I order all my birds straight run, and knew we would be eating the extra roos. I didn't want even the slightest chance of any remnants of vaccines or antibiotics to wind up in my food - if I want meat full of antibiotics, I'll buy it at the grocery store.

Also, like Miss_Jayne, I want a strong flock. It's survival of the fittest for my flock.

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I vaccinate and am at a loss for it. I do not know the remedies for many of the inflictions that others post on BYC. It always amazes me some of the conditions that my birds don't get. I do have concerns about necessity of some vaccines and the reliability of some. Last year fowl pox was on the rise; as in chicken pox it is not commonly lethal but preventable. I vaccinate for Mareks and Newcastles. Mareks being the biggest killer among young birds. Newcastle: a lung disease. I had a lady ask why I vaccinate because she didn't want to. She asked what to do if you do not vaccinate or you do not give anti-biotics; I told her to come back and I would sell her some that were vaccinated! She preferred to buy the vaccinated hens. I leave their health in gods hands after they are vaccinated! He is a good farmer.

9. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Truthfully..I didn't know about it at first and don't see any need in it now. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:I hold to the same reasons as miss_jayne.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by