To Those With McMurray Chick Issues - Good News...

MNKris

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
And the bad news...We are still having issues with our chicks. Honey doesn't seem to work. Tetracycline does not work. We have lost a cuckoo marans and a partridge cochin so far and I believe we will be wiped out of the partridge cochins except maybe one and 10 of the 12 cuckoos and 4 of the 7 buff rocks and anywhere from 1 to 4 of the EE. Very sad, but we are trying to save them.

Now the good news...McMurray is standing behind the chicks. I finally got a hold of someone who talked to the management and we are hopeful to get healthy chicks this time. They were VERY helpful and the customer service is what I expect from McMurray. The gal told me she wanted to hear from you if there are any issues. This time they pulled through like I thought they should and I will be picking up my replacements on Saturday at the airport in Mpls. If you are having consistent problems with a good portion of your order or with certain breeds, please contact them. Losing one or two isn't really what we are talking about here, but more of an overall problem with the birds.

FYI...I asked a lot of questions of both McMurrays and the post office because if we are doing something wrong, I want to know how to correct the problem so it doesn't happen again. It doesn't appear the problem is broad based or specific to certain breeds in general, although it has been with ours. It doesn't appear it is feed related and in our case it is not cured with any of the common medicines. McMurray said they just may have gotten weak for some reason and are happy to replace them. Now, I am always looking for answers, but I may just need to let this go before I become crazy!

1) McMurray sends out about 100,000 chicks each week and most go through the express center at Airport Mailing Center(AMC) in Mpls/St Paul MN. They are shipped out from the hatchery on Saturdays and arrive at the airport anywhere from 3 AM to 2:10 PM on Saturday for express shipment. They may go air or truck from the AMC. A vast majority of the chicks shipped out our week arrived safe and sound.

2) Vaccinations are automated so unless there was a severe human error, this isn't likely a problem.

3) Some of the breeder flocks are new and eggs may have hatched slightly early causing the chicks to be in a weakened state. This isn't likely, but could have happened.

4) McMurray requires specific feeding regiments for all it's breeder flocks and personally visits and inspects each of them. This helps eliminate vitamin deficiencies, etc.

5) The weather has definitely been a factor for a lot of people. It shouldn't have been with ours, but it may be with yours.

6) McMurray has had a few "normal" issues with lower than expected hatch rates on a few breeds. They aren't concerned, but have had to push a few orders back.

All in all, I was VERY impressed with the response I received today. It seems like they genuinely want happy customers. I am hopeful these new little darlings will be healthy. I will keep you posted!

it took me a week and a half to get ahold of someone..
sad.png

I just talked to McMurray
they gave me credit on my credit card for the 3 I lost and also on a 4th I said I was not sure about because she was smaller than her "sisters". (same breed) and not as sturdy. (ie I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but she is my biggest concern)
they were very nice; good customer service.
maybe they can look at the data of what breeds had more trouble and find some trends.
each time I watch them I feel less worried and am enjoying them more!
Catherine
PS - a week and 1/2? I just called their 800 number, sat on hold maybe 7-8 min and talked to someone, I did that w/in the last 30 min.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, a week and 1/2 seems like a long time, were you e-mailing or calling? Even when I e-mail I usually get a response back in a few hours, and she told me to call. I called their 800 number and didn't even have to wait.

They were extremely nice with me. They refunded on my credit card the price for the 9 chicks we lost, plus they refunded us the vaccinations as well. I have a few chicks here that I'm still worried about so I may just give them a call back and let them know what's up, see what they have to say

What are the temperatures in Minneapolis/StPaul right now?
And what are the temps where you are and are the chicks being kept out of the cold during transit?

Hi, I have been ordering thru McMurray for years and whenever I have had a problem, even with the more expensive birds like peacocks, they have been very good about either replacing or giving you a credit. The only problem I have had has been receiving them in February or March and the post office while in transport leaves them out on a loading dock or in the back of an unheated truck. It is terrible to receive birds in that condition, so I just order them to be shipped later now.
roll.png

I like mmh alot.they really are good to their customers.thats probably why they have been in business for almost 100 years.there are a few others i'd like to try but with mmh's track record it's hard to. will

I lost 22 of my 31 birds and when I called their 800 number I recieved credit for the ones I lost and the ones I might lose by the first person I talked too. Great customer service. Not happy about the chicks but very happy with the people.

Back
Top Bottom