To wash or not to wash?How to store fresh eggs?And other egg Questions

T Hi

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
So my runner female has laid 4 eggs in the last 5 days. WooooHoooo!!!!

If I am keeping them to eat and storing them in the fridge do I wash them off with soap and water before putting them in a carton in the fridge?

How long do they last in the fridge before I should throw them out?

My Dove has laid 1 big egg and next day a small 1 then another big 1 and now today another small 1!

How long is it until she will lay more consistent sized eggs?

Washing is required for selling otherwise it is a personal prference.30 days or more in the fridge at 40 f.

If you do decide to wash them (I don't bother with my chickens eggs but they are laid in nice clean straw!) then make sure you use very hot water, as much as your hand can stand, as cold water can get sucked through the porous shell by osmosis and can encourage bacteria to grow inside the egg. Also dry them with kitchen paper before storing them.

I also do not keep mine in the fridge as my fridge freezes things that get near the back, but also when you take eggs out of the fridge they attract water droplets from the atmosphere to them as they are colder than the air around them, so you have to use them straight away, or again you have the problem of water entering through the shells, and germs growing etc.

Others may do things differently though.

I am not sure how long you can keep them - generally you will find that you either eat them or give them away before they get more than a week old anyway!

It could take 3-4 weeks (probably less and possibly more?) for the laying to settle into a routine and with good, even sized consistent eggs. A bit like when a young girl starts her periods - it can take a few months to get into a regular cycle!
lol.png

The funky weird eggs are often called fart eggs, and you can get a real variety of sizes, shapes, colours, etc. Look out for the ostrich double yolkers though! Makes my eyes water just thinking about passing those!
smile.png

It's best to wash them. Lets explain why. Eggs are "warm", or lets say warmer then the fridge when collected. The fridge is high in humidity, which makes bacteria grow. So you put "warm" eggs into the fridge, the moisture makes the bacteria act up. Now here is where the problem starts. As the egg cools it pulls the bacteria from outside of the shell into the egg's inside, because the inner egg contracts creating a vacuum effect. Now you have a slightly contaminated egg. This is usually not an issue if you eat it soon, but there is a potential risk.

It is actually best to store the eggs at 60-65 degrees. This is of course warmer then a fridge. So if you have a dark cool pantry then this is ideal. First you don't have the high humidity and second the egg does not get chilled fast so you are less likely getting bacteria pulled into the egg. Or there will be very little of it. Plus the dryer air slows the bacteria growth. And the air circulation around the eggs does the same. In this case you don't even have to wash the eggs. This is actually the preferred method for storing eggs.

Now we live in modern times and it is less likely that we have a dry cool room at constant 60-65 degrees. You could set up a mini fridge with the perfect temp, but who does this? So if you plan on using the eggs within 4 days leave it unwashed on the kitchen counter, if it is not too hot in the kitchen. You may want to mark the date on them so you use the older eggs first.

I would wash them for storage in the fridge. Make sure the water is 20 degrees warmer then the egg, or use water around 110-120 degrees for ease. Now for what to use as a detergent in the water. They do have commercial washing solutions for eggs, but you can use what you have. Anti bacterial dish washing liquid can be used. You can also use a little bit of bleach if you like. Or go the old fashioned way and use white vinegar. What ever you prefer. After washing towel dry the eggs and place into the fridge.

Keep your eggs for a few days, if you plan on peeling hard boiled eggs so they peel easily. Ideally you should use them within 2 weeks, but you can store them longer. I personally would not go past 3 weeks. Just remember they are not getting younger and the air sack will grow. Some people break the eggs open and freeze them for use in baked goods or scrambled eggs later on. This may work for winter, when your birds may not be producing eggs. You can also pickle eggs, or bake something and freeze that.

I wash my duck eggs off with vinegar. Dry them off and store on counter. If they start building up on me, I pickle them. May freeze some for future use, but so far I only get enough for eating and a few put in with the pickled quail eggs. ( I like surrounding a duck egg with the bitty quail eggs in my jars).

I love the duck eggs poached. They are sooooo creamy.

Do I understand that you have 4 duck eggs and haven't eaten any yet? How can you stand it? You don't know what your missing. Once you eat them the problem is getting enough duck eggs.

Muscovies sit their eggs to much, don't leave enough for me. Sorry, I'm just whining because my older gal is taking some time off and the younger gals are to young yet, so I am out of duck eggs. I ate the last pickled duck egg yesterday.

I don't wash my eggs until I go to use them. Sometimes the really dirty ones I will, but mostly mine aren't too bad so I just place them in a carton and put them in the fridge and before I use them I'll clean it off before I crack them.
Just my personal preference!

Back
Top Bottom