To water or Not to water?

DuckLover2399

Avian American
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Oklahoma
Ok so my ducks are basically outdoor ducks now but I havent built a house so they can stay outside during the night. So i keep them in this huge koi pond thing with shaveings in it. I usually keep water in there but u wouldnt belive the mess!!!! The make a pool of their shaveings with their water. Would it be ok to not give them water or food overnight? They stay out side with a pool,water,food,and forageing. They stay outside till dark. Which is around 9:30 ish here in OK. I get up between 8:00am & 9:00 am. So they would get to go out around that time. Im really getting tired of the mess they make.
barnie.gif
Please help me decide if it is ok.

chickens do not normally eat or drink during the night so you don't need to have food and water in the house at night, however chickens need water as soon as they wake up (which is between 5:00a.m. and 7:00a.m.), so you would have to wake up early to let them out if they didn't have round the clock access to water. I hope this helped
smile.png

They would be fine without food or water overnight provided they got access to food and water early enough the next morning. From what you said, they should be fine until you let them out when you got up as long as it wasn't too hot. They usually drink as soon as they wake.

Hi, there are threads about this ... I know because I had the same question, most of the replies were: they need water and food, I ridged milk cartons with holes in the side just big enough for them to get there heads into and it helped a bit. The chickens don't eat all night, not sure why the ducks have to.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom