To Worm or What to Worm??? Please help.

Paws2u

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Carrollton, GA
Still new to this and we ARE addicted. I have searched the quorum trying to find answers to my worming question. I have almost 30 week old pullets and they free range at least a couple hours every weekday and all day on Sat & Sun. One girl has running (normal color) poo. She eats, she drinks, no mites or lice, doesn't feel any thinner than the others. I'm thinking she might need worming. Am I right to think that it is a worm problem. They are on layer crumbles with very few treats. I would like to know a broad spectrum wormer that I could give to all. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Friendly Bump for ya
bun.gif

It's usually pretty cheap to have a vet run a fecal float to see if they find any worms. One the other hand, animals can have worms and not be found in the test.

If you have reasons to believe that your chickens need to be wormed, then do it. But if you don't have good reasons...I'd be cautious about doing it.

My pullets came from a guy on the "not so great" side of town and were housed in a dog run that still had dog feces present. And the dogs in the kennels on either side of the chickens didn't look good either. So I wormed my chickens. Just remember that most broad spectrum wormers require a withdrawal period of eating the eggs or slaughtering for meat.

Back
Top Bottom