Today is day 21 for broody hen

cluckclucker

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Today is day 21 for our broody hen. We collected a dozen eggs for her. We checked this evening and one egg looked crushed. The membrane looked shrink wrapped around chick but not broken but shell crushed from hen. It was peeping. Wondering if we should take other eggs away from her?
hmm.png

My broodies alway sseem to hatch a day or two later then the eggs in my incubator. I'd give the chicks another 24 hours to show some progress. If that one chick looked shrink wrapped you might want to rub some warm water on the membrane to loosen it up a bit.

Quote:
That's funny cause my broodies are just the opposite and always start hatching on day 20!!

I agree on giving them time. I just had a hatch in my incubator where they started hatching on day 22 and finished the evening of day 23!! So just give them a little time!

We're eggcited!
big_smile.png
We have four peepers and looks like three more eggs have little pipping cracks. My daughters are so thrilled. They want to hold them so bad. "Beauty" (the hen) doesn't want us to mess with her little beasties. What should I expect in the next couple of days? Her behaviour? We have chicken books to read but none go into details on taking care of a brooding hen with chicks. Should I put a brooding light above cage to encourage them out of the nest to eat and drink? We have one cochin rooster that is very curious by standing near cage and listening. When will it be safe to introduce the family to the rest of the flock? Thank you all for your knowledge.

Mama will take good care of those chicks once they arrive! She will keep them warm and nestled under her. A broody light may be helpful, so would a little place to keep her separate from the rooster and other chickens for 2-5 days. Once the chicks get going, she will likely take care of them and guard them. Let us know how many!

She was able to hatch 8 out of the 12 eggs. Very interesting, she is a good mama. She even adopted an older chick we had ordered. We have a mixed chicks but they are cute. Sorry for not posting sooner. We have been busy getting ready for our goat to give birth. She had a boy and girl on Saturday, April 2nd.

Back
Top Bottom