Today we played hooky.

maplesky7

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
N. IL.
Today me and my girls played hooky. Grandma, 2 of my sisters, 2 of my cousins, and 5 of our kids went to the arboretum in Chicago.

http://store.mortonarb.org/ChildrensGarden/explore.php

Morton after Morton salt guy.

And we had lunch there and the food was yummy. I had a chicken philly cheese steak sandwich. My mom and one of my sisters had shepards pie. The kids had pizza, grilled cheese, hot dog, or cheeseburger.

And by the end of the day the 2 boys were pummeling each other and my girls talked mommy into the gift shop for 2 stuffed Bambi's, 2 honey bear shaped lolli's, 1 bee and 1 beaver pin.

It was a full and satisfying day at the park...the temp. made it up to 66* a VERY warm and welcome suprise...a bit muddy in some areas but hey, they are kids...they're meant to get dirty.

And we saw a turtle sunbathing on a rock.

me,
g

sounds like a fun day Gretch!
wee.gif

Oh AND...I must say that I am very blessed to have such a wonderful mom...she paid our way and our lunch...and at the end of the day, she had snuck off and gotten me and herself a membership there...because she thought it was a great educational and fun place and it was very close to my sister and one cousins house and she thinks it's important that we get together more often.

love.gif

The rope bridges, forts, slides, mini houses, flat rock path you can cross over a pond, and the garden maze were really fun. The kids had a blast. I can't wait to go there when the fountains and water activities are set in motion. They can walk through certain ponds and explore...

The walk around the big pond was great and exhilerating (we had to walk quit briskly to keep up with running children), just to let them run ahead and have all us sisters and cousins hang back and talk and enjoy each others company.

It feels good to get out among the living and soak up the sun today. It's been a number of years since I've been able to feel this kind of freedom. It seems silly, I know.... but I actually felt alive today. I felt like a human being. I didn't know this trip was going to affect me this way...but it has been a day of reflection. And I'm happy...and my kids...they were soo happy. They explored. They picked up rocks, they looked at seed pods, they watched a turtle slip into the water... it was great.

me,
g

those are the kinds of days and moments that give us those memories we treasure forever. It's not about the "awesome" video games, birthday parties, etc. It's about days just like the one you described. Thanks for sharing that bit of peace & contentment with us!
smile.png

YES! YES!
wee.gif
another spring crazy! i've been loosing my mind awaiting spring, i'm buying summer clothes for dd, seeds for the garden, hatching peeps by the dozens, even broke out the sewing machine ,, hurry spring my bank account can't hold out much longer
lol.png
jumpy.gif
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom