Toe nails

Ja Mee

Chirping
May 27, 2022
This isn't an emergency but i do need help. I finally figured out at least part of why one of my hens isn't walking well. See pictures. Duh! I feel terrible for not noticing before now. I know I need to trim them and I know to be careful regarding the quick of the nail. However, I do not see any pink to indicate where the quick begins. How much would you take off of these nails?
View attachment 3559925View attachment 3559927

Technically not answering the question. But wondering what do you have for flooring? Usually, chickens will wear down their nails from walking, and scratching.
Now, what I know is you clip their nails a little a time. Clip a small piece. Observe, clip another small piece, observe and so on. For chickens that have darker nails, where you can’t see the blood supply just have some anti-biotic/septic powder And or quick stop of some form.
Once you do, figure out how to cut/trim the nails, perhaps look into methods to prevent the nails from growing so long.

dog nail grinder?
511bWyn5GdL._AC_UL800_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Clip a little at a time. If the inner space of the is dry and chalky when you cut then you have room to do another small cut. When the inner space starts to seem more wet or oily, you are getting close to the quick. You may have to do this in intervals (several days apart) b/c the longer the nail, the longer the quick. Cutting and waiting will give the quick time to retreat.

Back
Top Bottom