Toe Punch ID advice

Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
I tried toe-punching for the first time this year on my five hatched chicks at one week old. Today I noticed two of the cockerels, now nine weeks old, have a split where the hole should be. They are bound for the pot so it won't mess up my system any, but any advice on how to prevent this?

I have more chicks on the way, so I'll have more practice soon.

Attachments

• 20220621_201633.jpg
    20220621_201633.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220621_201657.jpg
    20220621_201657.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 8
I would not toe punch anything. If you want to ID chicks,, use pigeon snap on bands, or Colored zip ties. If you choose the zip tie method,, I can explain how to do it properly. YES,,,,,,THERE IS A WRONG WAY OF DOING IT....:old:(
Snap on bands are priced very reasonably, and are easily removed. (not permanent)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Snap on bands are priced very reasonably, and are easily removed. (not permanent)
Thanks, but I like permanent identifiers. Two of my hens lost their leg bands.

I also use numbered wing bands, but want to set up a system of toe punches for year of hatch which would be universal across flocks (should I get to numerous flocks like I hope).

Maybe something I'll just have to figure out? I know people like to use it for tracking breed lines. I want to use it for year of hatch across all my flocks (even though I only currently have one).

Back
Top Bottom