1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toes and toenails...chick abnormalities

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by teddiliza, May 10, 2009.

1. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a question, 2 of my chicks have a split rear toe (like a 5th toe) on one leg, and a normal rear toe on the other. Some of my chicks are missing toenails as well.

Is this an incubation issue, or something that would be passed onto other offspring?

I don't know what the parents look like, but the chicks are RIR/favorelle/cochin mixes

Thanks

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    The extra toes/missing toenails are a genetic thing. Extra toes come from something like Silkie parentage, breeds that have an extra hind toe. I'm not sure what other breeds have it, but my Buff laced polish have the thing with the missing toenails. It's hereditary, because some chicks will have normal feet, some missing toenails, or the whole end of the toe missing. My roo has the first toe of each foot missing up to the second joint.

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Faverolles have 5 toes, so the abnormal/extra toe is probably genetic. When you mix breeds you can get all sorts of interesting things. I hatched a silkie cross that had funny-looking feet; I posted pics on a thread here a while ago.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agreed, genetic. Toes are relatively small on the scale of points they are worth during judging, but they are also easy to correct through selective breeding.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are five breeds with 5 toes: silkie, faverolle (both already mentioned), sultan, houdan & dorking.

The polydactyl gene is dominant, but there are a couple of alleles that can cause rather extreme expression.

6. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    What about a 6th toe on a silkie is that a disqualification?

This thread is very helpful since I have several with missing toenails and was wonding if they were still showable.

Thanks

7. teddiliza

Wow! So if you have a rooster or a hen with missing toenails, some of the chicks or ALL of the chicks will have missing toenails?

Could you breed for 'declawed chickens'?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The wrong number of toes is always a DQ (assuming the judge notices--which they should)

Missing toenails are a small point deduction.

I would assume that missing toenails is genetic, and I certainly would not breed for it. It is most likely recessive.

9. teddiliza

I was just thinking they'd do a whole lot less damage in the garden without the toenails....and you wouldn' t have to worry about clipping them, or getting scratched when they decide to perch on you.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And missing toenails would also provide less protection when a dog, cat, hawk or ... decides they would make a nice snack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by