Tom holding his neck weird...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cheeps, May 15, 2010.

1. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    My tom Gobbles is acting strange I noticed today. He is occasionally holding his neck crooked. He holds his head way back and it looks like his neck is bent backwards. What could this be. Noticed lots of yucky poops as well. I'm worried! He's currently free ranging in the backyard. He seemed fine yesterday. Oh, and he has been losing feathers on his neck, but I posted and asked and was advised he was probably molting. He also has lost some tail and wing feathers as well.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Sounds like he ahs crookneck! It can be treated. There was a post here in late April that had alot of info.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So sorry to hear about your turkey. Sorry that I am replying so late to your thread. My tom experienced the same thing. This is what I did.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=331774

PS. I gave 2cc's of Tylan twice a day for 3 weeks.

Please keep us posted and let us know how he is doing.

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I had a young one that would do that when it was in the brooder cage. It would stretch its neck out upside down on its back and stagger backward then flip over backwards. I thought it was a goner but when I put them into the big pens it stopped doing it and acts as normal as the others.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:How is your baby doing? I hope that he is ok. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by