tom to hen ratio?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by spish, Dec 28, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just wondering how many hens per tom he should have, i have at the moment 3 toms 3 hens, but have someone interested in a couple, or just a lone tom.

of course selling as a couple id get more money, but if i held that extra hen back (making my group 2 toms 3 hens) would that be better?

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    TWO OR THREE HENS TO ONE TOM IS GOOD BUT A MATURE TOM CAN COVER OVER A DOZEN HENS WITHOUT A PROBLEM. You should keep an second tom if you want to breed them. Unless you really don't want the second tom in the mix you can leave them in a group and the dominant tom will keep the secondary in line as far as breeding his girls.

3. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I currently have 10 22-week old turkeys (Spanish Black and Blue Slate) - 1 Tom and 9 females. I plan on butchering most of the females in late winter, keeping 2-3 females for breeding with the Tom.

They live together all the time with about 30 chickens, including 4 roosters. They all live in the same coop and share a couple of acres of woods/grassland with 2 donkeys. Will the Tom exhaust the 2-3 female turkeys and start pursuing the chickens? Will I end up with barebacked turkeys? Should I keep more of the hens?

I'm only producing for our own use, so I don't want to keep more breeding stock than I have to, but I also want my birds to have both healthy bodies and healthy society.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by