Tomorrow is the day!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aclee, May 14, 2010.

1. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    Tomorrow is the day...my 35 meatballs head to freezer camp. When I didn't feed them this AM they all just kept following me around the yard looking lost. I felt bad so I scattered some cracked corn for them at least. I have two new garbage cans to put them in with water and ice, and I have two 6 foot plaistic tables, as well as a counter/sink combo. We'll have one kill cone and one traffic cone and a plucker. I also bought a couple smaller buckets to put water with some bleach in it, to rinse knives etc in periodically. Am I missing anything?

Wish us luck!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Good Luck! I'm not seeing anything missing but I only helped butcher once.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Scalder, biotherm to measure temp, garbage bags, ziplock bags for gizzards and hearts.

Also, If you tape freezer paper (plastic backed) over your tables, cleanup will be a breeze. Make sure you bring a sharpening steel out as well.

Someone else had mentioned a radio. [​IMG]

4. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    Quote:ok [​IMG] scalder was on the list, but radio wasn't...where we are processing we are lucky to have power for the plucker, so unless we grab batteries...guess we could do that!

We aren't saving hearts andi gizzards...just feet and necks for when we go crab fishing...we want to make the processing as easiy as possible.

We bought the heavy duty contractor bags for disposing of everything...The beaks cut right through regular trash bags

Thanks [​IMG]

5. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I use a pair of anvil type pruning shears to clip the necks from the body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by