Tonight - board of zoning appeals meeting on my chickens in OHIO

Ugh. Ten pages...I might have to hit on you for that list. LOL I was thinking about the lightened load on the muni waste system if just 10 families had three chickens each (and based on what I read in this forum, it sounds like chickens are like potato chips...). It adds up.

Having so many people on your side must count for something. Maybe ask if you can be part of a few-year trial run program for chicken owners in the city? Also, I read somewhere else on here...if someone's coop is a mess or something, that sort of fits in with the health and other already in-place zoning violations. If folks are fined, that ought to pay for the cost of policing and so forth. Even a one-time or once every five years permit of $10 or something...Hmm. I'm sure there are ways...

In our own city, chickens are illegal unless one has a very large lot. Since it's a postwar steel town...everyone has a very small lot. How convenient for the town! But I'm planning on working on it....

Good luck with the city's law director. Please keep us posted!

I am going through the same thing. I even called the village and asked before getting them and they told me nothing on the books! So it was fine. I asked my neighbors that live around me, and they were more than ok with it! The day I brought the chickens home, the one bordering my back property (he has land and leases it for farming, but lives somewhere else) complained to the mayor. The mayor was over here within 2 hours and told me to get rid of them. I explained I had called and got an approval. He said no, not allowed. So I am in meetings with village council members, zoning boards. I went to zoning last night, and this coming tuesday to another council meeting. I hope I can keep them, as they are great for my daughter. She has Down syndrome, and loves taking care of them. I only have 8 and places around me allow them! Oh and it is ok to have rabbits!!! Doesn't make sense! BTW I am in Hartville!

Let me know how your meetings turn out in Barberton.

Had a zoning meeting last Thursday, and another Council Meeting this Tuesday! Had an attorney willing to take me on Pro bono. Him and his family showed up at the council meeting. They talked about the zoning, and ultimately decided to allow the chickens. They are going to add to the zoning book, and looks like I am grandfathered in now! They are adopting a zoning from a nearby city! So I get to keep my girls!

So so glad for you
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom