Too big for brooder but outside is too cold

Tikka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
I have chicks between 6 and 7 weeks old now. One clucks if things get exciting enough. They are too big for the box, and the weather forecast keeps pushing a supposed window of 40 degree lows back day by day. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to set up a second brood box and split my four older girls from the four little girls. The older ones (the black stars and welsummers) I think would be okay without the brood lamp at this point. We've been turning off the brood lamp at night for the last week.

Space is an issue, but I think I will bring a card table in and have one brooder on top and the other underneath (raised by a couple of inches so it's not right on the floor). I guess the only thing I don't already have is a second feed box, but I was probably going to have to get that anyway.

I kind of worry we haven't played with them enough. Hopefully it's not too late.

I think they would be okay outside with a brooder heat lamp. I have one week old outside in my coop with a light on at all times. It has been in the low 30s overnight, but last night it got down to 18 degrees (should be a one night only forecast). Mine have been fine. So if you have an area in your coop that you could put the lamp in, I'd think they'd be fine.

I put mine out at 3 weeks. They have a lamp, of course. Lows in the 30's and 40's. Been out for a week now. No problems at all, and glad to have them out of the house
smile.png

At 6-7 weeks they should be fine.

As long as they have heat and are draft free they should be ok,mine went out in the growout pen(wich is and old potting shed with a door) at a week old with a heat light they did fine....

Back
Top Bottom