Too big of a rooster?

BeginnerChickener

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
I have a big hy line brown rooster, and next week I am planning on introducing my about 9 or 10 week old pullets to the flock. My pullets are all standard sized, except for my two small pekins. So my worry is that the rooster could hurt them. The rooster has been really gentle with the older hens, but his size worries me. Does anyone have similar experiences? That’s him in the pictures. (Sorry about my bad english). Rehoming a rooster here is really difficult, so should I be looking for a new home for the small pullets?
76722A74-E5B5-4754-B902-CA7171DAAF74.jpeg

Attachments

• 623F8037-AEFC-4700-9AB3-45C4FD8B6788.jpeg
    623F8037-AEFC-4700-9AB3-45C4FD8B6788.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 3
I have a big hy line brown rooster, and next week I am planning on introducing my about 9 or 10 week old pullets to the flock. My pullets are all standard sized, except for my two small pekins. So my worry is that the rooster could hurt them. The rooster has been really gentle with the older hens, but his size worries me. Does anyone have similar experiences? That’s him in the pictures. (Sorry about my bad english). Rehoming a rooster here is really difficult, so should I be looking for a new home for the small pullets?View attachment 2715913
He should be fine. But keep the pullets separated until they're about 4½ - 5 months so there's not s huge size difference between them.

I have a big hy line brown rooster, and next week I am planning on introducing my about 9 or 10 week old pullets to the flock. My pullets are all standard sized, except for my two small pekins. So my worry is that the rooster could hurt them. The rooster has been really gentle with the older hens, but his size worries me. Does anyone have similar experiences? That’s him in the pictures.
If he's got good technique, size shouldn't matter.
How he behaves towards the new girls will be enlightening as to his demeanor,
he should not try to mate them at all.

How do you plan on integrating the new birds?
The hens will likely be less welcoming than the male.

(Sorry about my bad english). Rehoming a rooster here is really difficult, so should I be looking for a new home for the small pullets?View attachment 2715913
Welcome to BYC! @BeginnerChickener
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1623537989206.png

If he's got good technique, size shouldn't matter.
How he behaves towards the new girls will be enlightening as to his demeanor,
he should not try to mate them at all.

How do you plan on integrating the new birds?
The hens will likely be less welcoming than the male.

They have been slowly getting used to each other by being in each other’s presence, with a fence separating then for a few weeks, they haven’t been very interested in each other for a while. So I guess I’ll add the smaller ones in and supervise them tightly, and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll try again later and come up with a new plan. I am not in a hurry, so waiting longer isn’t really a problem either.

View attachment 2715930

.....except the bantam cochins aka pekins.

It might be a good idea to either build the bantams a little house and run just for them.....or rehome them.
I've kept Bantams with Largefowl without issue. I had a big fluffy Orpington breed a D'uccle successfully, without hurting her. This was like 6 years ago. I still have the D'uccle hens.

But if they're concerned the roo might hurt the Bantams, it won't hurt to give them their own place.

They have been slowly getting used to each other by being in each other’s presence, with a fence separating then for a few weeks, they haven’t been very interested in each other for a while. So I guess I’ll add the smaller ones in and supervise them tightly, and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll try again later and come up with a new plan. I am not in a hurry, so waiting longer isn’t really a problem either.

Sounds pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom