Too big of brooder?

Omellette

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Bc, Canada
Okay so I am getting 30 chicks on wed. I have the brooder mostly set up. It's a pumpkin box. Few things I'm grabbing today. But I saw a chart that said .5 square feet per bird. So I measured and I am only at 12.5 square feet. I am getting two more pumpkin boxes on the weekend that were gonna be my "add ons" as they grew. If I add another pumpkin box now that is 25 square feet of space for 30 birds. I don't mind doing it but is there such a thing as too much space? I only have one heat lamp as well so I would have to get another one?
Thanks so much.

Thank you! I was thinking of just adding on making a hole in each box so they can go back and forth? Is that okay instead of splitting them up.

If it were me, with 30 chicks, I'd just make the bigger brooder now. You are always, always better off with more space then not enough space and 30 chicks are going to grow out of 12 square feet in a big hurry. It's also better to have more then one heat source with that many, especially at night when it's cooler and more of them are going to want to be under the heat at one time. With a larger brooder you can accommodate that need while still having cooler areas of the brooder where they can get away from the heat when they need to.

Thank you. I have bought another heat lamp and bedding. Will pick up the other boxes this weekend and add one on to the one I have. Then as they grow I will add the third box :) thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom