Too cold for 2 month old chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GooseyMcGee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GooseyMcGee

GooseyMcGee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    We have two chickens that are about two months old. It looks like they have all their feathers. We keep them outside during the day but bring them in at night. We haven't built a coop yet but they have an cage that contains a wooden house that they can go in. It's going to get as cold as 40 F tonight. Will it be okay to leave out?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, they'll be fine as long as they are in a draft free environment - but still ventilated. (Any air movement should be above the chickens on their roosts. At 8 weeks, they probably don't roost yet, and will spend the night on the floor. Give them lots of fluffy bedding (pine shavings or whatever) in which to snuggle. They are much more resilient than you think!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They should be ok since it will only be 40, but if the front of the wooden house is open, I'd lean a piece of plywood up against it (assuming there are other air holes for ventilation) to keep the wind out. I have done this with hutches before I covered up the sides with plywood.

Also I am assuming that this is predator proof...rats and weasels can get through openings larger than about 1/2 inch. They kill chickens. Hardware cloth is best- 1/2 inch.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    my two 9wks are fine so far down to 23 degrees i use i thermometer that records highs and lows and they're doing great with no heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by