Too cold for a butt wash?

9chickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
I found a lot of good info about washing chicken bottoms here (which in itself seems strange that I am interested in knowing this) but no one addressed outdoor temperature.
I considered(only briefly) putting them in the shower and using the handheld shower to more or less power wash their little pasty butts but quickly discarded the idea, when thinking about how I would have to explain to the ER personal how I was mauled in my own shower while trying to wash my chickens bottom.
My concern is that the temps are in the mid to low 30's. Will this be too cold to wash them and towel dry their butts. I am pretty sure they would not take to the hair dryer very well.
Also should I put a little coconut oil or petroleum jelly on to sooth it? Their bottoms look a little raw.

I would find some place warm to keep them until they are dry. Wet feathers do not insulate them from the cold. As far as the red bottom goes I found the best thing is Sween Baza Antifungal We used it in the nursing home and it works like overnight. It stays on awhile and really works great on chickens. I also use it on my horses. You can get it at any drug store.

Last edited:
I assume you want to wash their butts because they have poop stuck on it?

Most chickens are calm and seem to like getting a bath, even if it is just the butt. Make sure the water is warm and if needed use a mild soap. Don't try to pull it off, you can potentially tear the skin. Then towel dry.
I don't think I'd put them back outside unless they were dry. I have never blow dried a chicken, but most of the posts state that the chickens were OK with it. Never read that they freaked.

If their butts are raw looking, I'd use something like neosporin without any kind of "caine" type pain reliever. (No Lidocaine, Benzocaine etc) Watch for picking among each other. Another option if you have it is, blu-kote.

If it is a chronic problem you may want to trim the fluff around their butts to reduce the messiness.

Imp

The bottom washing was a success of sorts. I was able to get her cleaned up and dried off. She actually sat on my lap for awhile after the bath. I noticed later this afternoon that she was messy again. I am off to search the forums for causes of diarrhea. Thanks for the help.

Did you know that chickens secrete oil to their feathers the same as ducks? I would refrain from washing at this time of year unless you have a warm place to keep the bird til spring. You might try a dust bath or a dry bath.

I wish you well ,

Rancher

even my less tame chickens like the blow dryer. Last weekend my o shamo hen had some busted egg yolk on her and was not feeling well. In case she was having an egg laying issue I decided to give her a nice warm soak.....man she has long legs. I had to wait for her to relax a bit in the warm water so the water level would reach her bottom. I wound up having to dip a rag in the water and hold it to her vent. I was worried she may not like the blow dryer but she liked it so much I didn't even have to hold her to dry her. I think it tickled.
sharon

I normally wouldn't wash a chicken but her bottom was pretty caked up. I kept her in my greenhouse for awhile. It was about 70° in there. I was sure to only get wet what needed to be cleaned. I don't know if a dust bath would have cleaned her up. I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. Thanks.

When I wash any bird, I usually condition their feathers afterwards. I use a bit of coconut oil, if I have it. I don't soak them in it, just add enough so they can spread it around on their own. They will produce more oil, on their own though. I tend to go overboard with after care, hehhe.

I also use neem oil as a bug preventative, the girls always look really nice a couple of days later. All oiled up and smooth. They really like it and it keeps those nasties from taking over. Too much, too often can dry the skin though.

I agree with keeping her warm until she dries out. My chickens and cockatiel love a good blow drying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom