Too cold for ducks?

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
Hi, I have three ducks, and they have swimming pools in their run, but I also have a creek in the back of my property. During the summer I carried them down to the creek to let them swim, because it has a giant hole for them to explore. Today it’s 50° here, and the water is constantly running. The water feels cold to the touch, but I was wondering if it’s too cold to bring them down here. One day in the beginning of the winter, I carried the ducks down here and one of my ducks wanted to cold shock. It was much colder than today. Is the water too cold for them? I tried to take the temperature of the water with a thermometer but it wouldn’t read

When my ducks had creek access, they swim in at all winter and did just fine. I would probably hesitate in your case if you already had about experience with a duck getting too cold, though. :hmm
Ok, thank you. I feel bad because they want to swim so bad but the water is cold 😢 maybe another day

Hi, I have three ducks, and they have swimming pools in their run, but I also have a creek in the back of my property. During the summer I carried them down to the creek to let them swim, because it has a giant hole for them to explore. Today it’s 50° here, and the water is constantly running. The water feels cold to the touch, but I was wondering if it’s too cold to bring them down here. One day in the beginning of the winter, I carried the ducks down here and one of my ducks wanted to cold shock. It was much colder than today. Is the water too cold for them? I tried to take the temperature of the water with a thermometer but it wouldn’t read
How old were your ducks when you had the problem with cold shock? How long were they in the water? Did the one with cold shock have wet feather?

I have Florida ducks and have just moved to Northern Virginia for a few months. My ducks are facing frost and a frozen wading pool for the first time. They haven't turned a feather!!! They did get miffed when we had hail -- but just took themselves back to their new duck house [a compartment in the garden shed. But despite the cold at least two of them have bathed in the wading pool [there are white feathers and dark feathers in there!

How old were your ducks when you had the problem with cold shock? How long were they in the water? Did the one with cold shock have wet feather?

I have Florida ducks and have just moved to Northern Virginia for a few months. My ducks are facing frost and a frozen wading pool for the first time. They haven't turned a feather!!! They did get miffed when we had hail -- but just took themselves back to their new duck house [a compartment in the garden shed. But despite the cold at least two of them have bathed in the wading pool [there are white feathers and dark feathers in there!
She was probably 6 months old, perfectly healthy , and she was in the water for 10 minutes

She was probably 6 months old, perfectly healthy , and she was in the water for 10 minutes

Hard to know what happened but she might be particularly sensitive to cold triggering a physiological change. I am sure it is wise for her not to go to the creek when the water is cold: better safe than sorry! Maybe it's possible that moving water has a chill factor beyond the actual water temperature like cold wind has a chill factor beyond the actual air temperature. A physicist might laugh and correct mebut might also have a better explanation for what happened to your duck

My ducks never say to cold they swim all day all winter long a few pics of them enjoying pond. Sitting on ice when not swimming, I have an aerator to keep an unfrozen spot for them they love it. Last pic is today has been in the teens to high 30 degrees.
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG

Back
Top Bottom