too cold outside!

AmandaLou

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
Sooooo, my hubs and I were not thinking ahead enough apparently. Our new batch of chicks are about 4 weeks old, and we live in IN. Currently they are living in a box under our heat lamp in our kitchen!! Well, by the time they are 6-8 weeks old and ready for coop life, itll only be 40-50 degrees outside!!!! We have bantams, 4 silkies and 2 brahmas...... IDEAS!!??!??

Sooooo, my hubs and I were not thinking ahead enough apparently. Our new batch of chicks are about 4 weeks old, and we live in IN. Currently they are living in a box under our heat lamp in our kitchen!! Well, by the time they are 6-8 weeks old and ready for coop life, itll only be 40-50 degrees outside!!!! We have bantams, 4 silkies and 2 brahmas...... IDEAS!!??!??
You can put a heat lamp in the coop, and give them no access to the run, until they're completely feathered to get them out of the kitchen. Then you can let them outside. If you're worried, you can leave the heat lamp on a little while longer, but they shouldn't need it. 40-50 degrees isn't that powerful against a full, fluffy, downy coat.
:welcome

At this point, you can start weaning them off the heat light. In a couple weeks, maybe move them into a garage or a sheltered porch and let them acclimate. 40-50 degrees is fine for 8 week old chicks. No heat needed.
Even for bantam silkies?

Back
Top Bottom