Too cold? Sudden cold snap

Penguingirl216

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2023
Hello,
I've seen a lot of discussions about cold weather but could use some reassurance. And I know it's likely even colder else where but I worry about how sudden it got so cold. I'm in Seattle and it went from 40 degrees two nights ago to a low of 13 degrees tonight (feels like temp is even colder, was a high of 20 today). I did buy one of these cozy coops and have it in the coop - https://www.chewy.com/cozy-products...s9bgKxhsuO0pfoVkpMu5FZqQDG0StNixoC0aAQAvD_BwE
But that only works if they are near it; doesn't heat the coop, so a thermometer at the opposite end of the coop says it's ~20 degrees in the coop. I'd like to think I have it all well ventilated and draft free (have small vents at the top), but still concerned that they are just going to be too cold and I'm freezing them to death. My coop isn't insulated; its built to this plan - https://www.thirdcoastcraftsman.com/product-page/chicken-coop-and-run-plans but with added vents at the top (small circle metal ones). Tonight is the worse, slightly better tomorrow (high of 26 maybe) and then slightly warmer the next day. I'm mainly worried about tonight/tomorrow early morning. I don't want to check on them because I don't want to open the doors and let out the warmer air. Am I being to stressed/anxious? Thank you!

Hello,
I've seen a lot of discussions about cold weather but could use some reassurance. And I know it's likely even colder else where but I worry about how sudden it got so cold. I'm in Seattle and it went from 40 degrees two nights ago to a low of 13 degrees tonight (feels like temp is even colder, was a high of 20 today). I did buy one of these cozy coops and have it in the coop - https://www.chewy.com/cozy-products...s9bgKxhsuO0pfoVkpMu5FZqQDG0StNixoC0aAQAvD_BwE
But that only works if they are near it; doesn't heat the coop, so a thermometer at the opposite end of the coop says it's ~20 degrees in the coop. I'd like to think I have it all well ventilated and draft free (have small vents at the top), but still concerned that they are just going to be too cold and I'm freezing them to death. My coop isn't insulated; its built to this plan - https://www.thirdcoastcraftsman.com/product-page/chicken-coop-and-run-plans but with added vents at the top (small circle metal ones). Tonight is the worse, slightly better tomorrow (high of 26 maybe) and then slightly warmer the next day. I'm mainly worried about tonight/tomorrow early morning. I don't want to check on them because I don't want to open the doors and let out the warmer air. Am I being to stressed/anxious? Thank you!

If they are adult chickens, who have been living in that coop for weeks or months, they will probably be fine. Chickens that might have trouble would be young chicks (not fully feathered), or sick chickens, or chickens that were just moved them from a much warmer climate (not acclimated to the local temperatures.)

As regards the heater that only heats one area and not the whole coop: that is a good thing, because the chickens have a choice about whether to be near it or not. Overheating them would not be good either.

For the future, you might consider getting a camera to put inside the coop, the kind you can check remotely. That would let you check on the chickens without opening their door (so you don't let the bad weather into their coop by opening the door, and it would also save you going outside in bad weather to see if they are okay.) Of course that idea is no help for tonight!

Assuming these are healthy, normal feathered teen or adult birds, they should handle the temperatures without issue.

We have similar temps here, and I still have 4 out of 5 windows completely open, including one next to the roost. It's dry cold, but I want it to stay that way inside the coop to reduce risk of frostbite.

If anything your coop sounds underventilated, if you only have small circular vents at the top. I'd really consider opening some of those windows as long as it doesn't put a draft across the roost area.

thank you both! They are young adult ladies and healthy. I think the ventilation is OK; there's no moisture in the coop that I can see / no condensation on the windows. There is a little bit of opening near the roof too. But I do worry that maybe this is frostbite on the combs (see pictures - the white stuff, sorry not better pictures, 2 different chickens and looks different between). It's super dry here (my noise and skin are completely dried out), but maybe they got water on combs when drinking. Not sure if this is frostbite, or maybe just mild, and if I should do anything for it? I don't really want to separate anyone given how cold it is. Not supposed to be as cold tonight but still in 20s/slightly below over night. (and yes they got a treat of oatmeal for warmth...I know there's some differences in opinion on that but I don't feed it to them often). Thanks!
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG

Back
Top Bottom