Too Cold Too Eat

sgrzybin

Songster
7 Years
Sep 2, 2015
I live in the midwest and it's getting close to 0 degrees at night and barely above 20 in the day. I have noticed that the food intake has decreased. They get fed spinach, kale, oats, wheat, corn, oyster shells, bananas, and mealworms daily. From day to day, the amount of grain that they eat is decreasing, should i be concerned?

Maybe they're getting too much of the other stuff? I'm in MN, and it's been in the double-digits below zero here and feed consumption has not noticeably decreased at all. But mine only get their layer feed and some kitchen scraps.

I haven't followed a specific meal rotation for them, so if that is the issue, then I would need to just research what to feed them during the cold weather. The oyster shells, greens, and mealworms are always eaten.

keep them on a constant layer feed your personal choice but make sure it is at least %16
then you could mix in some scratch
add some BOSS

and that is my mix but start feeding constant layer pellets, crumbles, or mash
the others are mainly just used as treats

Also, the only way that I was allowed to get chickens is if I only fed them non GMO food (just FYI).

%16 protein BOSS=Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
as for the non GMO it is possible to buy nonGMO feed it just takes a bit of extra looking, without the protein from a higher protein feed, your chickens are only getting less than %10 protein.

Back
Top Bottom