Too cool to play in the run?

SarahoftheChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
We had a little cold snap yesterday and it's only supposed to be in the 60s today. Right now it's almost 50. I have 16 chicks who are 5 weeks old and mostly feathered out. Is it safe to let them out in the run in 50 degrees? I still keep a lamp on at night and turn it off during the day. I'm probably just being a baby about it. We've lost 5 chicks so far, 4 in the first 2 weeks. I'm just nervous because I don't want them to get too cold.

Hi there! I have two chicks who are also five weeks old and it has also been in the 50s here. I don't let them out all day but they do fine for a few hours. So for your's I would say wait to have them outside for the whole day until it gets in the 60s and 70s. But they can be outside for a few hours now.

Hope this helps
smile.png

I have 4 chicks that are 2 1/2 weeks old, they are outside in a pen right now, it's 60 degrees and windy as heck.
They have a little cuddle box they can get in if they get cold, but they don't spend much time in there.
I took the heat plate away 3 days ago and they sleep in the cuddle box in the brooder in a 62 degree room.
I've been putting them outside everyday for at least 3 hours starting at about noon to 2 pm, they're having a ball scratching around.
The cooler you keep them after the first few days, the faster they'll feather out.

Just give them some shelter from the wind and they'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom