What do you think?

• Total voters

Lizzy733

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
Hey Guys,

Foofy is going on 8 weeks now... still looking quite girlish. Wondering if any experts can chime in and let me know if they think otherwise.
- Pet quality non-bearded. (some were missing toes in this one's bin - all mixed colors)
- Crest is a little swept back, but seems to be rounding out as the feathers are still coming in.
- Comb is concave and smooth - Foof's face is a bit pale and seems to get some yellows in the comb
- No signs of wattles
- Noticed some grey leakage yesterday - a solitary feather on one wing (visible in first pic) and maybe a little down on the other side. (is this a boy only thing; or can hens show leakage as well?)
- Behavior is very hen-like. Tail stays low, even when standing alert. Always dives to the center of the flock if frightened - or just in general. A follower, not a leader - gets left behind often. Is standoffish about being handled. No chest bumping the shaver hens. Chatty and loud, but no crowing.
- Ears have blued up over the last week and are starting to get vibrant. Adolescent behavior has kicked in and Foofy has become a bit more outgoing but still nowhere near the level of the shaver girls.

Here are 7 and 8 Week Photos:
I have a gallery set up for a play by play from 4 weeks and will be adding as we progress through to crow or egg.

12_01_Foof_Comb.jpg
12_01_Foof_Profile_2.jpg
11_26_Foof_Comb.jpg

I’m sorry but it is still way to early. Silkies tend to do a lot of changing between 3-5 months. None of my boys get the classic male characteristics like comb, streamers and sickle feathers until after they crow. Behavior really doesn’t work either because you have really docile boys and spunky girls. I have juveniles out in the coop right now that hatched end of June and July that I can’t tell. I will give you an example this Monet
4 months
3978FB58-E1C9-43E1-9D40-D4AB5F9CE767.jpeg
7 months
4BCF962C-5F38-45F2-AAC8-F451BDDE9E48.jpeg
11 months
BD274F76-D0BE-443A-849A-145B90115B34.jpeg
As you can see he he crowned at 5 months but really didn’t look full boy till well after 7 months that’s why they say you don’t know till crow or lay an egg.

11 weeks this weekend. I don't have a new comb close-up, but there's been no movement in that department. Still concave; still no wattles; still pale.

Crest is 'very' wide in the front. I've tried hair bands, which did well until the other chickens decided to groom it away :(

Here's some pics from the last two weeks. The one directly below is from this morning.
20_12_Foofy Front View.jpg

13_12_Foof_Shaka.jpg

13_12_Comb_Foofy_Zoom.jpg

13_12_Foof_Profile2.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks. You’ve given me hope that Heather could still be a Heath-her and not a Heath-him.

We’re at almost 9 weeks and your lady sounds just like our Heather. I think heather’s crest? is less rounded, which’s gives me anxiety. We already ended up with a cockerel from a sexed pullet chick.

Anyway, Heather says thank you, with a very grumpy face.
0DDF3B7E-D16F-422F-8FFF-A1166B2BC76B.jpeg

Just wanted to say thanks. You’ve given me hope that Heather could still be a Heath-her and not a Heath-him.

We’re at almost 9 weeks and your lady sounds just like our Heather. I think heather’s crest? is less rounded, which’s gives me anxiety. We already ended up with a cockerel from a sexed pullet chick.

Anyway, Heather says thank you, with a very grumpy face.
View attachment 1727017
So males can't be named Heather?

Back
Top Bottom