Too Early To Go Out?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I think I picked a bad day
hmm.png
My ducks are just over 4 weeks old, and have feathered out mostly (less then a week I'm sure they'll be done) but I was kinda convinced to put them out in the duck house today.

I had company, and everyone was commenting on how stinky it was in the house. My husband finally told me it was time for them to go out! So we gathered their food dish and giant dog water bowl and moved them to the duck house. They have lots of space now and got to watch the chickens roam the yard with whom soon they can follow.

It was a lovely afternoon for them, and I think they liked it! Was partly sunny, and in the 60's. Then the sky opened up.... and down it rained ever since. Its only 50 out... but they are calling for low 40's and some 30's at night in the next week. Should I have fought my husband and waited? Will they be ok anyways? They have complete protection from the elements and nice attached run to enjoy. I just want to make sure the temps will be ok.

I don't want to pick a fight with hubby to get them back to the bathroom if I know he's right.

A heat lamp would certainly help them transition from the warmth of the house. Set it high enough that they can move under it if they are cold or move away if they get too warm, just like you would do for chicks at that age.

Good luck!

big_smile.png

That's what I would say too. I plan on moving mine out (once they hatch!!
fl.gif
) at a month old if I can stand them inside that long, and they will have a light probably till spring, just to make sure. Other than that they should be fine.

Haven't gotten a light out there yet... my husband is concerned about running electricity out in the wetness. Its warm today though and drying out from yesterday. So far they seem very happy and playing away in there giant water dish.

I'll try for a lamp out there soon. Maybe a week or 2 should get them through. They'll be 5 weeks on Christmas day. Which reminds me... I have decided to name them Christmas and Eve! (I hope at least one turns out to be a girl! LOL)

Back
Top Bottom