Too early to put ducklings outside?

I too have put ducklings out at 3 weeks. First with heat but they didnt stay anywhere near it . So i took it out. It dipped into the low 30s and they were fine.
They were larger breed ducklings. Pekin, buff, swedish and 2 runners- who were smaller but still stayed plenty warm cuddled up with their friends.
I would try it with some heat and see how the act. You will be able to tell if they are cold or not

We have ordered ducklings, but won't have them for another month or so, but I raise chicken chicks outside in a brooder pen within the coop from day one. I've always very carefully used a heat lamp for warmth, but will be trying the mama heating pad method spoken of a lot here on BYC going forward...the heat lamps make me paranoid. I've never had a problem with their health outdoors, though.

I too have put ducklings out at 3 weeks. First with heat but they didnt stay anywhere near it . So i took it out. It dipped into the low 30s and they were fine.
They were larger breed ducklings. Pekin, buff, swedish and 2 runners- who were smaller but still stayed plenty warm cuddled up with their friends.
I would try it with some heat and see how the act. You will be able to tell if they are cold or not

Yes I have larger breeds too (buff, blue splash swedish and Pekin). Also I always put them out in a group so they have snuggle warmth. I would not recommend putting one duckling outside alone. I usually wouldn't even recommend you only have one duckling... only in special cases. But I digress.

Ducks are like potato chips... you can't have just one...
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom