Too early to tell?

TurtleFeathers

Fear the Turtle!
14 Years
Jan 9, 2009
By the Chesapeake Bay
Good morning everyone!

I got some chicks from a fellow BYC'er back on 8/23, and they were anywhere from a couple days to a week old at that time. They were as follows:

1 Dominique
2 Columbian Wyandottes
2 Mille Fleur D'uccles
2 Black Copper Marans/Buff Orp mixes

Can y'all take a look at these pics and tell me if its too early yet to sex them?

Dominique (black legs?):

20890_patty_dominique.jpg

Dominique again (rose comb, but flesh colored, NOT pink?)

20890_patty_dominiqueface.jpg

Mille Fleur D'uccles:

20890_patty_millefleurs.jpg

Columbian Wyandotte #1 (I'm pretty sure this is a roo):

20890_patty_cw1.jpg

Columbian Wyandotte #2 (roo, too?):

20890_patty_cw2.jpg

Black Copper Marans/Buff Orp #1:

20890_patty_bcmbo1.jpg

Black Copper Marans/Buff Orp #2:

20890_patty_bcmbo2.jpg

Black Copper Marans/Buff Orps together, #1 on left, #2 on right:

20890_patty_bcmbo12.jpg

Thanks so much! (Edited for typos)

Last edited:
not sure about genders, but the columbian wyandottes should have rose combs, not single combs... those are either incorrect wyandottes or they are not wyandottes at all...

maybe they are delawares?

Too early on the mille fleurs but give it a few more weeks and if you see the combs getting red, they are roos. It is really easy to tell on those.

Noitulover: You're absolutely right - thanks for catching that! This is my first experience with wyandottes, so I didn't even think about it!

I saw the parents, and they were beautiful birds, but I can't be sure what type of comb they had. A mix breed is a distinct possibility, too - the parents were penned separately, but there were a few rogue hens that may have slipped in when no one was looking... I got these for eggs only, so comb type doesn't really matter to me - but I need HENS for eggs! LOL!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Becky & Mrs. Puff - I was hoping for either two girls or one of each! But they look almost identical, so I'm thinking both are the same sex - however, 2 roos will do me absolutely no good...

That's not a Delaware unless it's crossed with Columbian Rock. Dels have barring in the hackles. Many hatchery Wyandottes have single combs.

The Dom doesn't seem to have a proper rose comb at all. Looks like a BR/Dom cross or something, but it's a pullet. The black leg wash and dark color tell you that.

Thanks Cynthia! This is my first experience with Dominiques as well, so I was just assuming it was a rose comb - but you know what you get when you ASSUME...

Again, comb doesn't matter, or even mixed breeds - I just need brown eggs. Whenever people find out I have chickens, they say "I'd like some eggs, but are they brown or white?" to which I reply "neither, they're blue" and they go "EWWW!" This reaction seems rather odd to me - I mean, an egg is an egg, is an egg, right??? But thats ok - the fact that they're freaked out by my blue eggs just gives me an excuse to get a few new chickens! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom