Too hot for chicks?

Top Rooster

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 16, 2015
North East Oklahoma
So I’ve had a broody chicken for months and have tried to break her broodiness over and over but she just doesn’t give up. I don’t have a rooster so she hasn’t been able to hatch any chicks so at this point I’ve considered buying her some chicks to raise as her own. The only issue I face is the heat. Where I live we are facing excessive heat with highs reaching 105 to 107. If I were to put the chicks under that hen would her body heat and the already high temperature of the air be too much for a chick to handle?

If she is sitting on nothing why not get some (fertile) eggs of your breed choice and put them under the chicken. If the hen goes though the full cycle of sitting and then hatching she may take to the chicks better than getting young chicks in the hope she will adopt them

If she is sitting on nothing why not get some (fertile) eggs of your breed choice and put them under the chicken. If the hen goes though the full cycle of sitting and then hatching she may take to the chicks better than getting young chicks in the hope she will adopt them
The only reason I don’t do this is I just don’t want her to have to sit for another 3 weeks although if it needs to happen I will.

The only reason I don’t do this is I just don’t want her to have to sit for another 3 weeks although if it needs to happen I will.
I guess I would base it on her health--how is she doing? Has she lost any or a lot of weight, then chicks would be a good option. I think that mama hen will know what is best for the chicks, she will likely get them outside in the shade and breeze instead of in a coop.

. Where I live we are facing excessive heat with highs reaching 105 to 107. If I were to put the chicks under that hen would her body heat and the already high temperature of the air be too much for a chick to handle?
No. I suggest you put the chicks under her at night when it is dark. Bring them home, keep them in the AC during the rest of that day and put them under her at night. It's not going to be at peak temperature then, much cooler than 105.

Broody hens raise chicks in those temperatures. They need plenty of water and shade. I don't know what the area she would raise them in looks like, but if they can settle down on dirt in the shade she'll do fine. Wetting the soil could help cool it down.

Before a hen even starts laying eggs she builds up excess fat. I've butchered enough hens, roosters, pullets, and cockerels to see that difference in the amount of fat they store, it is a lot. That fat is for them to mostly live off of while they are broody. That way they can spend most of their time taking care of the eggs instead of off the nest looking for food. Most broody hens break from being broody when they use up that excess fat. If your hen has been broody for 3 months she has to have used up that excess yet hasn't broken. You get some like that. I'd either renew my efforts to break her or get her chicks to raise now.

No. I suggest you put the chicks under her at night when it is dark. Bring them home, keep them in the AC during the rest of that day and put them under her at night. It's not going to be at peak temperature then, much cooler than 105.

Broody hens raise chicks in those temperatures. They need plenty of water and shade. I don't know what the area she would raise them in looks like, but if they can settle down on dirt in the shade she'll do fine. Wetting the soil could help cool it down.

Before a hen even starts laying eggs she builds up excess fat. I've butchered enough hens, roosters, pullets, and cockerels to see that difference in the amount of fat they store, it is a lot. That fat is for them to mostly live off of while they are broody. That way they can spend most of their time taking care of the eggs instead of off the nest looking for food. Most broody hens break from being broody when they use up that excess fat. If your hen has been broody for 3 months she has to have used up that excess yet hasn't broken. You get some like that. I'd either renew my efforts to break her or get her chicks to raise now.
I agree.
In the past, I gave a broody 1 day old chicks at night. During that day, I took the chicks out to the nest area at various times so she could hear the peeping sound under the nesting box. Then, that night, I slipped them under her and removed the Fake eggs one egg, one chick. Until all ten were under her. In the morning she had switched from sitting to caring. It was a beautiful sight.

Current situation is: I have high temperatures right now too. My broody hatched 3 eggs over the 4th and she's doing an excellent job at keeping them cool during the day as they are out running around with the other 4 polish hens. All under mostly shade. At night, I noticed they are backed up against her in the nesting box with their heads peeking and during the day they are running around in the dirt. Plus I noticed mama is flinging dirt and digging holes for them to stay cool. Mama knows best I guess. Trust your Broody.
Keep cool clean water available, I add ice to the water, offer frozen peas and grapes, watermelon, ect during the day to keep them (Hens)cooled down. It has been blistering hot. I can't even stay out long. But, broody mom is taking care of the chicks.
Good luck and keep us posted. It's all good.

I think I have decided to go ahead and get some chicks for her as I rather move the process along and not wait any longer. I will get the chicks this Thursday when some rain is supposed to come in and bring the temperature down and we’ll so how it goes from there.
Great idea!!!! Yay!!!! Chicken math in progress!!! YAY!!! DO IT, DO IT!!!!
Post pictures!!!

Back
Top Bottom