1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too Hot in Nor Cal!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chew593, May 18, 2009.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

It got hot here today, real hot real fast. It was 105 degrees and I'm worried about my little ones getting too hot. What is too hot for 3 and a half week olds? They are in an old water heater closet that is well ventilated but it got warm in there today. Close to 90. They didn't seem stressed by the heat, and I know they're eventually going to be out in it all the time. I would just like your thoughts...

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello, we are new to the chicken family....we have 8 chicks, a few weeks old...as I have read, as long as your chicks are acting happy. No worries. If they are too hot you'll know, same as when they are too cold![​IMG]

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Boy howdy you are right about the heat. I am just down river from you and I was wondering the same thing. I turned the heat off on the babies and made sure the big girls had plenty of water.

4. strega78

strega78 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Redding, California
    Yeah I am worried about my ducks outside in this heat...Tomorrow I will be getting my first chicks (a couple of days old chickens first timer here lol)[​IMG]. I am not to far from Sac and I know how hot it gets here during the Summer.[​IMG] I will try keeping them outside otherwise they will be coming in out of the heat. As for the ducks.....I might put ice in their lil kiddy pool.[​IMG]

5. Chew593

Well I turned the almost 4 week olds out in the run with the older girls today since my husband is out there working on the coop anyway. He says they're not picking on each other, just staying away from each other, and it gives everyone a chance to take advantage of the shade.
    I'm glad there's going to be a cooling trend this week. Only 94 today... My neighbors have a ton of chickens and don't seem worried about their chicks. He seems to think the harsh weather makes them stronger. I'm a little more sentimental and attached.
    Good luck to all us Nor Cal Chick owners! We're in for a hot summer!!!!![​IMG]

6. mfsakc

mfsakc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    El Dorado County, CA
    It has been HOT!

My 8 week olds have shade in their run but were panting yesterday so I did two things; Watered down a corner of their sandy run so they had a cool spot to lounge and put out a frozen 1/2 gallon milk carton. At first they thought the milk carton was going to kill them LOL but eventually they figured out it. Seemed to help them cool off.

7. Chew593

Quote:Excellent Ideas!!! We've been out working on the coop all day and DH spilled their 1 gallon waterer... lo and behold they all went to that area to scratch and lounge about. I love the idea of the frozen water out there too!!! We Nor Cal Chick Lovers are a smart bunch!

8. Peeplperson

Peeplperson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Napa
    Great idea with the frozen container! I'm north of Napa, and we're HOT.

9. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Chew 593 - I'm probably not too far from you - Grass Valley - and have had chickies for a couple of years. They have always seemed to manage okay. If I know it's going to be hot, I sprinkle down an area in the shady part of the run before I head off to work. Otherwise, I don't do much. I have thought about taking a fan out on a few occassions, but haven't done it yet. My run has lots of shade, so that helps. If yours doesn't you might want to put up some shade cloth or something like that. Good luck. You're going to enjoy them (especially when you start getting eggs!)
    Liz

10. Chew593

Quote:Thanks Liz! I'm in Marysville/Yuba City Area so we're down in the valley, but I love your neck of the woods! My chickens appear to be doing well. I've never had chickens before this spring. I lost the first 6 to the dog (my 3 year old left the run gate open) and I have 6 week olds and almost 4 week olds. There's enough of an age difference that I couldn't put them together yet, but with this heat we took the risk. DH was out there the whole time and the 2 flocks pretty much stayed away from each other. I plan on putting the youngsters back in the brooder at night time, and will take advantage of the advice I get here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by