Too hot? Too cool? Experienced hatchers, chime in!

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
I have had my LG 9200 (still air w/turner) fired up for four days now. I managed to get it to hold around 101. This, with a homemade water wigler = a digital thermometer probe in a rubber glove full of water. Got all my eggs in a row this morning and "ready, set, go!"
I expected there to be some heat loss and adjustment as the eggs went from room temp to 101. And there was. HOWEVER, what I have discovered is that this 'bator is pretty much 99.4 or way-up-there 101.9 or even 102.3
So my questions to the veterans is this: Would you advise that I stick with the warmer or cooler temp? The unit is in a basement that tends to be humid.
Thanks.

With the LG, the air temp should be in the 101-102F range. If you have a wiggler, though... the wiggler probe should be reading 99.5°F.

Thank you for the quick reply.
big_smile.png

Cooler, as long as it is not under 98 or 99 degrees is best. I think hotter than needed will kill off a hatch faster than cooler?
I have read to keep it anywhere between 98 and 102.Though on the lower side you could have a bit later hatch. However, remember when you are reading the thermometer, the location of the thermometer. Especially in a still air, the temperature will be higher towards the top.
(I have a LG as well and this has been my experience with it.)

Last edited:
I would say cooler, one-tenth of a degree is not that much. I also have the LG 9200 still air with turner, and my temp and humidity were fine, until I put the eggs in. Then it went wacky, and I had to mess with it for days to get it right again. But it worked out all right, I had 12 out of 14 hatch from my first set!!

Quote:
Added to this, if the temp is high, but not too high, it will cause the chicks to hatch early, some may have the yolk still on the outside. If you have the temp at 99.4 going by the wiggler, I'd just leave it alone...

Back
Top Bottom