Too many birds

KirbyH

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Rougemont, NC
What do people recommend if their birds hatch out more babies than can be kept? How best to find them good homes, responsible owners?

How best can you locate a nest when you know the female is broody and apt to hatch out a bunch of babies in cold wet weather? These babies would be doomed if not collected.

If someone is taking free range capable adults, what to you tell them other than to coop them up for six to eight weeks lest they take off never to be seen again?

Last edited:
You can try posting in your state thread on this forum. Found in the Where Am I? Where Are YOU? section of these forums. Perhaps find a local animal auction. Craigslist is always an option also. Or specific Facebook groups from your area.

Chicks hatched in cold weather will be taken care of by the mother. They go under her to warm up when they need to - they are way tougher than brooder raised chicks. They will be perfectly fine if you provide mother and babies with shelter, chick food and water. Mom will do everything else; they are not doomed.

Chicks hatched in cold weather will be taken care of by the mother. They go under her to warm up when they need to - they are way tougher than brooder raised chicks. They will be perfectly fine if you provide mother and babies with shelter, chick food and water. Mom will do everything else; they are not doomed.
When we have left the keets with mom, they have perished. These birds do not go into a coop so they will be on the ground and not just vulnerable to weather but also to predators.

You can try posting in your state thread on this forum. Found in the Where Am I? Where Are YOU? section of these forums. Perhaps find a local animal auction. Craigslist is always an option also. Or specific Facebook groups from your area.
Where is the Where are YOU section? I don’t find it.

Back
Top Bottom