Too many drakes.

Jillyd78

Chirping
Aug 9, 2019
Southern Indiana
Ok so my ducks are now 4 months old and I have 4 drakes and 1 female. My husband wants me to get rid of some. He says we have too many males. What do I do? They have lived in my backyard for the last 4 months, they don't fly and there pool is the biggest body of water they have been in. I don't know anyone around here with ducks. And ..... I'm attached! Tweety is a big beautiful pekin drake Frick is a female rouenFrack is a khaki drake and Honk and Tonk are pekin drakes and they are best friends. Tonk is my sickly baby and Honk takes care of him so I cant separate them and who else will care for them like I do? Will Frick be ok separated where they cant get to her? Should I get rid of some? How do I handle this situation? Just need some advice from others who would understand.

Sounds like you need at least two pens. Your opinion on those drakes may change as they mature. They will mate your hen too much. Without more hens I don't think I would keep even one drake with her. Your drakes may start fighting too as they mature. All male poultry are cute until puberty.

If you want to try an keep your drakes then best solution is to make a separate pen for them @thumper650 has drakes he keeps an can advise. If you comfortable butchering that’s one option. Another is placing an ad on Craig’s list, feed store is another place most have bulletin boards. Seems this has been the year of the drakes many of us ended up with more than we could keep. Drakes when they become hormonal can really abuse a lone female so that’s the problem. Either more females which 10 more would be a good number, but then you may have drakes fighting over them. Sorry no easy solution here. :hugs

If you want to try an keep your drakes then best solution is to make a separate pen for them @thumper650 has drakes he keeps an can advise. If you comfortable butchering that’s one option. Another is placing an ad on Craig’s list, feed store is another place most have bulletin boards. Seems this has been the year of the drakes many of us ended up with more than we could keep. Drakes when they become hormonal can really abuse a lone female so that’s the problem. Either more females which 10 more would be a good number, but then you may have drakes fighting over them. Sorry no easy solution here. :hugs
Also there is a rehoming forum on BYC. Scroll down, and a forum for state threads at “where am I where are you”
Thank you Miss Lydia! My intention was never to butcher. Honestly, I never wanted ducks because I knew nothing about them. My husband went to the farm store one day thought they were cute and that I would like them (because I am an animal lover) and he brought 5 home. I was so mad at him but then I fell in love with each one of their personalities. Then the one got sick and I've had to care for him so much I worry that nobody else would take care of him like me. This is the problem this is why I avoid having anything more than my dogs. I am totally one of those people who doesn't have kids so my animals are my kids.
Anyway if I put the female in a pen by herself will she get too lonely? I'll keep her by the others but unreachable.

Thank you Miss Lydia! My intention was never to butcher. Honestly, I never wanted ducks because I knew nothing about them. My husband went to the farm store one day thought they were cute and that I would like them (because I am an animal lover) and he brought 5 home. I was so mad at him but then I fell in love with each one of their personalities. Then the one got sick and I've had to care for him so much I worry that nobody else would take care of him like me. This is the problem this is why I avoid having anything more than my dogs. I am totally one of those people who doesn't have kids so my animals are my kids.
Anyway if I put the female in a pen by herself will she get too lonely? I'll keep her by the others but unreachable.
If your husband brought the ducklings home, it seems a little irresponsible of him to push the job of getting rid of them onto YOU.

I completely understand I love my flock just like I do my dogs they are family. Try putting the two that are in separable in with her. If they behave then you’ll know which ones to keep if you decide to Rehome. What kind of sickness did your drake have? Is he mobile?

Back
Top Bottom