Too many drakes.

Yes hes much better since I started giving him vitamin b complex liquid. I give him one ml twice a day. Not really sure what it is other than a deficiency. He got so ill his eyes got infected he got wet feather and couldnt walk. I know if I try to lessen the dose he starts getting sick again so he has to have it. Our vet doesnt know much about them. I've learned more by coming on this page and asking. And my husband works a lot and thinks bringing me animals to care for is a good thing but he doesn't want any part of the care. He is a butthead but he does it out of love.

That's great he is doing so well on the b complex. can't hurt him at all he'll get rid of what he doesn't need when he pees. So you have some decisions to make and I am sure you will do the right things in keeping your female safe and what you decide to do with your boys. I had 6 Runners hatch this year and 5 ended up being drakes thankfully I have a friend who knows duck people on face book and even though I had to drive to VA to rehome She made sure they were going to good homes. It's not easy giving up these boys but we have to keep our females safe too. I now have 3 drakes and 13 females.

Last edited:
That's great he is doing so well on the b complex. can't hurt him at all he'll get rid of what he doesn't need when he pees. So you have so decision to make and I am sure you will do the right things in keeping your female safe and what you decide to do with your boys. I have 6 Runners hatch this year and 5 ended up being drakes thankfully I have a friend who knows duck people on face book and even though I had to drive to VA to rehome She made sure they were going to good homes. It's not easy giving up these boys but we have to keep our females safe too. I now have 3 drakes and 13 females.
I wonder if your friend knows anyone down this way. I'm thinking about the friend who hatched all the little drakes.

Yes hes much better since I started giving him vitamin b complex liquid. I give him one ml twice a day. Not really sure what it is other than a deficiency. He got so ill his eyes got infected he got wet feather and couldnt walk. I know if I try to lessen the dose he starts getting sick again so he has to have it. Our vet doesnt know much about them. I've learned more by coming on this page and asking. And my husband works a lot and thinks bringing me animals to care for is a good thing but he doesn't want any part of the care. He is a butthead but he does it out of love.
This reminds me so much of how my ex husband would buy a whole bunch of broilers at a time "for me", then refuse to do any of the care or butchering. Note how I said ex above.... His excuse also was that he worked a lot. Been there, oh boy have I been down that road before.

Thank you Miss Lydia! My intention was never to butcher. Honestly, I never wanted ducks because I knew nothing about them. My husband went to the farm store one day thought they were cute and that I would like them (because I am an animal lover) and he brought 5 home. I was so mad at him but then I fell in love with each one of their personalities. Then the one got sick and I've had to care for him so much I worry that nobody else would take care of him like me. This is the problem this is why I avoid having anything more than my dogs. I am totally one of those people who doesn't have kids so my animals are my kids.
Anyway if I put the female in a pen by herself will she get too lonely? I'll keep her by the others but unreachable.

I’m kind of in the same boat as well, @Jillyd78 . This year is my first time owning ducks, and it was sprung on me too when my husband came home with only a single duckling. Of course, I suppose it was my fault we went from one to five ducks, since I’d made the comment that the poor thing would be lonely by itself—hey, it’s a valid point, right? So he bought two more home. Then, when my Cayuga died, he bought me three more to replace her. ***It’s worth noting here that his math was never too great before he was hit with “chicken/duck math,” anyway. LOL

My two oldest ducks are around five months old, so I already know the Pekin is a drake and the Runner is female. But of these youngest three who are Rouens not quite three months old, I’m not completely 100% certain on, though I suspect I have two drakes and a female. I’d like to give it another month to be sure, but the two raspy “voices” and the one obvious quack is pretty telling :(

So I’m not quite sure what I want to do. The two oldest, Mr. Quackers and Waddles (my kids fail to see the irony in discovering they named a male duck that does not duck, Mr. Quackers, and the female of breed that does not waddle, Waddles) are bonded. If he so much as walks in the direction opposite her she quacks at him like a jealous nagging wife. And the three Rouens are inseparable.

If you do decide to re-home and find a good source of finding people locally, please let me know; I’m in southern Indiana as well. Best of luck to you!

~Alicia

I’m kind of in the same boat as well, @Jillyd78 . This year is my first time owning ducks, and it was sprung on me too when my husband came home with only a single duckling. Of course, I suppose it was my fault we went from one to five ducks, since I’d made the comment that the poor thing would be lonely by itself—hey, it’s a valid point, right? So he bought two more home. Then, when my Cayuga died, he bought me three more to replace her. ***It’s worth noting here that his math was never too great before he was hit with “chicken/duck math,” anyway. LOL

My two oldest ducks are around five months old, so I already know the Pekin is a drake and the Runner is female. But of these youngest three who are Rouens not quite three months old, I’m not completely 100% certain on, though I suspect I have two drakes and a female. I’d like to give it another month to be sure, but the two raspy “voices” and the one obvious quack is pretty telling :(

So I’m not quite sure what I want to do. The two oldest, Mr. Quackers and Waddles (my kids fail to see the irony in discovering they named a male duck that does not duck, Mr. Quackers, and the female of breed that does not waddle, Waddles) are bonded. If he so much as walks in the direction opposite her she quacks at him like a jealous nagging wife. And the three Rouens are inseparable.

If you do decide to re-home and find a good source of finding people locally, please let me know; I’m in southern Indiana as well. Best of luck to you!

~Alicia
If you use FB you might try and find some duck groups in Indiana.

~Alicia
I'm making a separate pen. So far I had a chinese lady wanting my pekins to eat. Yes I know people eat them but these have been my pets and I cant take them to their deaths. And it sounds like you and I are living the same life lol. ‍♀️♀️

Back
Top Bottom