Too many drakes

The Ancona duck is my best layer, big white eggs. The Buff is also a good layer, just not as many as the Ancona, but big light green eggs that buyers love. I hatched a lot of green eggs, hoping for more like her! The Buff and Ancona boys are big enough to eat, and not having dark feathers makes for an easier job plucking them. Not as much fat on them as the Pekins I used to have, but not as big, either. You can get sexed female Khaki Campbells and Buffs from most hatcheries, but the Anconas were from Sandhill Preservation, I do not know where else you can get those. He does not sex. Mine were a mixed duck special, I wanted to see all those breeds for a little less cost.
Thank you! I was trying to find Ancona and couldn’t seem to find any. Will they get along with my pekins? My pekin drake will be ok with them?

I would think so. The Buff drake is pretty big, and she just out runs him if she is not interested! She can't outrun the Ancona boy. Depending where you are, you might be able to find someone who has them near you and get hatching eggs. There is a lady in Phoenix, 2 hours drive from me, selling Ancona hatching eggs that I was looking at. I plan to sell some hatching eggs when I get them seperated enough to have one pen for Anconas and one pen for everyone else. Either way, it might be pretty difficult to just buy female Anconas.

Back
Top Bottom