Too many drakes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brassmaster, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Brassmaster

Brassmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Wayne County, Ohio
    Currently we have 3 Khaki Campbell hens and 2 drakes. We have kind of gotten attached to both the drakes but have been wondering how this proportion will work out long term. So far everything has gone well but the concern is next Spring when the boys kick it into high gear, are 2 going to be too much for our 3 hens?

2. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    We had to make the decision to get rid of two of our drakes and after they're gone this weekend we'll have four hens to two drakes which I think will be okay, but time will tell. If not, just look at it as an excuse to get a couple more hens. [​IMG]

3. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Ive stuck to the ratio of 1 drake for every 2-3 females, it works fine and stops all the arguments and fights ! [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Unless you have a very submissive drake, the two will probably fight with one another.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would try finding one more girl and see how they do.

I currently have 5 hens to one drake. As soon as he figures out what girls are for, he is going to be one happy duck! [​IMG]

6. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Quote:LOL - that's what I have also, Wifezilla!

I am adding 1 more drake and 3 more ducks, but I think they will still be very happy!!

7. I was just reading Mike Ashton's book The Domestic Duck last night and he points out if you have only one drake sometimes he gets lazy about breeding. [​IMG] So having two drakes with the same male/female ratio will result in a better fertility rate.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I've been looking into getting that book. How are you liking it? I was also thinking about picking up Tom Barlett's "Ducks and Geese, A Guide to Management." Have you read that?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I have three of the Ashton books and absolutely *love* them. The Domestic Duck is bar none the best duck book I have read. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is similar in design and content to the Holderread book (which I love to), but about five times more detailed.

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Thank you for the review! I've had that book in my shopping cart at powells.com for 2 weeks now. I guess I'll check out now [​IMG]

How about Barlett?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by