Too many eggs?

PianoChickens

Chirping
May 7, 2023
Hi,
It seems my question got lost in a debate over a heater lamps... so let me try again...

Second time broody here. I have Australorps. Last broody sat on 13 eggs successfully. Few of them turned to be empty, but she kept all 13 under her the whole time. Now, I went yesterday and bought 10 eggs for the second broody. Today as I stopped by couple times few of the eggs were out from under her, just on the side. Does this mean there are too many eggs? I should eliminate some? I just realised the box is in a slightly different position, more direct instead of slightly tilted back, like the one before... would positioning it the same help? Thanks in advance!

Just to add, it is a lot warmer than in the spring when my other hen was broody. During the day, even in the shade the coop can reach 35 ish C, which is 95 F. At night lowest was 25 C/ 77 F, inside the coop, which is definitely too low for the eggs... but if they are by their mom, but not under her directly... maybe? And no, I do NOT have any sort of heater in there. It is just summer.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, folks can get fired up about some strange stuff.

I have heard folks on here recommending 6 eggs, but I also heard that they will move the eggs to where they need to be. Maybe you just want to candle them at night and take the ones that aren't developing in case too many eggs is the issue?

I'm sure some folks will have an opinion in a bit. I hope it doesn't degrade, but it just seems to sometimes. 😅 :oops:

Does this mean there are too many eggs? I should eliminate some?
Probably not. I assume the eggs are the size an Australorp typically lays. Not all hens and eggs are the same size but a hen should be able to easily cover at least 10 eggs of the size she lays. Hens are pretty good about regulating the temperature of their eggs. I've seen hens stand up in the nest to expose eggs when the temperatures are really hot. It is like they are allowing the eggs to cool off.

I just realised the box is in a slightly different position, more direct instead of slightly tilted back, like the one before... would positioning it the same help?
It is possible. Like you I've had broody hens keep eggs under them throughout incubation and hatch when those eggs were not developing. I've never had a broody hen kick a bad egg out from under themselves. I have had hens not broody scratch an egg out of the nest when they are laying an egg. That does not sound like what you are describing though. Can you post a photo of the hen, those eggs, and the nest? I'd like to see what they look like, sometimes a photo can help.

I trust my broody hens. They typically know more by instinct about hatching eggs in real world conditions than I ever will. But not all of them have perfect instincts, it's the nature of living animals that some may be off.

Probably not. I assume the eggs are the size an Australorp typically lays. Not all hens and eggs are the same size but a hen should be able to easily cover at least 10 eggs of the size she lays. Hens are pretty good about regulating the temperature of their eggs. I've seen hens stand up in the nest to expose eggs when the temperatures are really hot. It is like they are allowing the eggs to cool off.

It is possible. Like you I've had broody hens keep eggs under them throughout incubation and hatch when those eggs were not developing. I've never had a broody hen kick a bad egg out from under themselves. I have had hens not broody scratch an egg out of the nest when they are laying an egg. That does not sound like what you are describing though. Can you post a photo of the hen, those eggs, and the nest? I'd like to see what they look like, sometimes a photo can help.

I trust my broody hens. They typically know more by instinct about hatching eggs in real world conditions than I ever will. But not all of them have perfect instincts, it's the nature of living animals that some may be off.
Here is a picture, how she has the egg by her, but not under her.

Yesterday I noticed one of the eggs was missing and one she had pecked on and today another one was broken... So I am starting to get suspicious of her mothering skills. I don't have an incubator or I would be very temped to remove the remaining eggs. Today when she was out she was making a big stink about not finding her "grown up food". I have been switching her to the grower feed as she is my only adult hen at the moment. When I gave her the little bowl of "grown up food" she seemed satisfied and crawled back into her bucket. So I am hoping that giving her the food she wants will solve the problem and I will still have seven little chicks...

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_204249.jpg
    IMG_20230624_204249.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom