too many mommies

Becksdunn

Chirping
Jun 22, 2018
not sure what to do about this situation. i have at least five of my hens sitting on the same eggs at the same time. its looks a bit crazy.
IMG_20190922_104544.jpg
IMG_20190922_104557.jpg
IMG_20190922_104557.jpg

I think everything I would ask has already been asked. Please keep us updated as to how many eggs the girls are sitting on and if you had any luck trying to separate eggs into different nesting boxes. I had this happen with 2 of my girls. Once the eggs hatched, they seemed to be fighting over the chicks, so I removed the chicks and raised them myself. Good luck.

not sure what to do about this situation. i have at least five of my hens sitting on the same eggs at the same time. its looks a bit crazy. View attachment 1914760 View attachment 1914761 View attachment 1914761
How old are these girls?
I would put most of them in a broody breaker crate and work to break their broodiness. When more than one hen tries to incubate a clutch of eggs, the eggs/chicks can suffer. Two broodies sometimes works but what you have there is ridiculous.

I saw the thread title and asked, "How are there too many mommies?" Then I saw the pic and laughed out loud!

But seriously, the hatch dates will get all mixed up. I'd separate them into different nests (depending on the number of eggs) and use maybe 1 or 2 broodies. Then I'd break the others unless I had some way of isolating them in separate areas with separate clutches.

Goodness! All those broodies at once... Do keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do!

I feel at least some of your pain (although the photos are soooo funny). Right now, I have a Sapphire Gem trying to lay her daily egg in one of the nest boxes in her coop. Snuggled right in there with her are a pair of Cochin Bantams who refuse to move to the other box in that coop or their own nest-boxed coop. Crazy broodies!! Good luck with your girls!!

Back
Top Bottom