Too many roosters ruined my flock :(

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
Well I finally got rid of my extra roosters from late summer hatches last year. I have 2 coops and a split run. As of today I have 16 hens and 2 roosters. BUT the damage has been done!! Not sure where to even start now!

Because 2 of the roosters really started fighting and over mating, the roosters and a lot of the hens are missing feathers. Observing them the past few day, I see that at least 3 of my hens are feather pecking at the rooster and at least one other hen. To top it all off, I have at least one egg eater too! :(
I love my chickens and I just feel at a loss at any solution! The roosters remaining could tolerate one another, so do I put them and all the other injured feathered hens on one side? Hoping the feather pickers stop once everyone is healed? I’m worried the hens won’t ever heal with both of them around. Do I try to isolate the feather pickers? I have one chicken hospital, but retrofit another. I’m worried I will have to end up culling them and I JUST got done thinning out my flock as is.
Any other recommendations? Solutions? Tips? I might be overthinking it. I’m just at a loss! Help and solidarity appreciated!

I assume people will ask so:
Coop sizes: 8x8 with 4 nest boxes and 4x8 with 4 nest boxes
Run sizes: each side is about 10x15
Each side now will have 1 roo and 8 hens

Cock/erels are fighting thru the fence of the split run?
Pics might help here.
How long since the other males were removed?
Ages of all the birds, please.

Cock/erels are fighting thru the fence of the split run?
Pics might help here.
How long since the other males were removed?
Ages of all the birds, please.
The roosters were originally all together (5 of them, I gave away 2 young roos about 3 weeks ago). Little over a week ago I put up a separation in the run. 2 of the roosters were still fighting through the fence so I put up pallets and then yesterday got rid of the 3rd roo. The 2 remaining get along fine.
My youngest 2 hens are 7 months old, my younger roo is 1 year old, the older roo is 2. My oldest hen is 6 or 7 years old. I think the oldest and youngest hens are the ones doing the most picking. I’ve been trying to observe them today while the weather is gorgeous and isolated one picker for sure. My pickers are all Australorps or all black barnyard mixes, curious enough. The rest of my hens are in between 2-4 year olds. Pictured are the 2 roos and the hen who gets picked at the most.

Attachments

• 6AD7AB70-87A7-4296-8477-40601ADDEC5F.jpeg
    6AD7AB70-87A7-4296-8477-40601ADDEC5F.jpeg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 7675D78A-B3F3-499C-B7BA-B5179B1A6ED4.jpeg
    7675D78A-B3F3-499C-B7BA-B5179B1A6ED4.jpeg
    931.7 KB · Views: 10
Egg eating: if you do not already have fake eggs in the nests, I suggest you put some in. (May help, doesn't hurt. The more times a chicken pecks an "egg" and does NOT get something yummy to eat, the less likely it is to peck eggs in future.)

I would loose another rooster and enlarge the run area to give them more room.
Give the pickers anti-pick glasses to wear, and the egg eaters.
Put golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes. Make the nest boxes darker so the eggs are not so visable. Gather eggs several times a day if possible.
Put stuff in the run to keep them occupied, and some late afternoon free range might help.
I would not scrap them and start over. This can be figured out.
Next time cull your excess roosters in the fall.
Good luck!

The 2 remaining get along fine.
My youngest 2 hens are 7 months old, my younger roo is 1 year old, the older roo is 2. My oldest hen is 6 or 7 years old. I think the oldest and youngest hens are the ones doing the most picking. I’ve been trying to observe them today while the weather is gorgeous and isolated one picker for sure. My pickers are all Australorps or all black barnyard mixes, curious enough. The rest of my hens are in between 2-4 year olds. Pictured are the 2 roos and the hen who gets picked at the most.
Ah, OK...so the remaining 2 males are fine.
It's the hens picking at each other.....which started before the males started to be thinned out?
Might need blinders for those soandso's

Ah, OK...so the remaining 2 males are fine.
It's the hens picking at each other.....which started before the males started to be thinned out?
Might need blinders for those soandso's
Correct! While the males were tearing each other up and over-mating the hens, the picking seemed to start. I will see if I can get some blinders delivered! For now, I moved all the offenders to one side, with other black hens with fewest missing feathers and hoping that helps for now. Picking up eggs often since I am home everyday.
@50-45-1 I will give them all a look over tonight! And look for some more ideas for things to occupy them in the run. When I can keep an eye out fir my brother in law’s dog, I can let them out to free range, but the run is as big as I have space for. I do have golf balls in the nest boxes. My husband has agreed to cull and process our roosters in the future :) I can’t bring myself to do it lol.
Thanks for all the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom