Too many roosters ruined my flock :(

The chickens are stressed, possibly nutritionally. Feather damage does not appear related to rooster conflict as it can occur in with hen-only groups as well. The feather-pecking and egg-eating behaviors might be slowed in part by upping dietary protein level. I would even introduce some hay, making sure you have sufficient grit available beforehand. Slow introduction better so they do not over consume. The ability to glean hay seems to distract my birds from feather pecking. The parasite issue needs to be followed up on.

A piece of plywood can block roosters trying to fight through a partition.

The chickens are stressed, possibly nutritionally. Feather damage does not appear related to rooster conflict as it can occur in with hen-only groups as well. The feather-pecking and egg-eating behaviors might be slowed in part by upping dietary protein level. I would even introduce some hay, making sure you have sufficient grit available beforehand. Slow introduction better so they do not over consume. The ability to glean hay seems to distract my birds from feather pecking. The parasite issue needs to be followed up on.

A piece of plywood can block roosters trying to fight through a partition.

Thank you!! Ironically, my Mother-in-law walked by yesterday and saw their feathers and offered the same advice about the hay! They are getting supervised free range time and I cluttered their run. I also realized their layer pellet feed was only 16% protein *face palm*. I chose an all flock, 20% protein. I have not observed any feather picking and only one egg eaten in the past 5 days, so these changes are seeming to make some difference. Will continue to monitor for parasites!

Back
Top Bottom