Too many roosters! Way to much PECKING, help?

peafowlmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Summerville ,SC
I have 6 GL cochin bantams, 5 Ameracana, and 7 peacocks. The bantam roosters and hens are pecking really bad at each other and way to much on the Am. I gave one CB rooster away and he came back! This was over 2 miles away! Can someone tell me what to do? THey are free range, but stay in a flock and are locked up in the same coop every night. Also, there is plenty of room for them all. The peacocks are separate and are not bothered by these at all except for the encroachment of (their) property. Please help. They are eating the feathers they pick off also. I am new to having chickens, I got them this spring. Is that strange for them to eat the feathers they pick off? Seems pretty over the top to me. Why do they eat the feathers?

Summerville, SC

Wow 2 miles away!

When I was new to chickens I had 8 pullets and 5 cockerels who were raised together and I soon learned that the hens could not take all that male attention. What is you roo to hen ratio exactly?

Mine did not free range all day, so we built a bachelor coop for 4 of the roos who got along fine. Maybe you just could set up a day run for the roos, and let the hens free range, but still have them roost together at night. But it sounds like it is not just the roos bothering the hens and the pecking is worst in the morning before you let them out to free range?

I have heard that feather eating can indicate a need for more protein, but I don't know if there can be other causes.

They peck all day, mostly when I put them up or when they are waiting for me. They really tear into the Ameracana's all day. They are on Purina chick starter, they get scratch and I feed them dried mealworms, and any veggies that are left over. Good idea about the roos and I might need to put the Am.'s in one too?

Well they have no shortage of protein. Blood and red bare spots can also encourage more pecking, which can turn into a vicious cycle. Chicken saddles or blu kote to mask the tempting red may help.

I'm going to share the 2 mile return story of your roo on the smart chicken thread!

This is why I eat extra roosters, my coop group has a roo, and my free rangers have a roo, and the rest are in the freezer as soon as they are big enough. 2 miles? Wow, Homeward Bound 4, the Cluckredible Journey, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom